Featured Paperweights - Anything Good Here?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 28, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It's okay. I made an offer and it was accepted. I'm hoping the scramble is a Clichy. I'm willing to gamble and if I keep 8 and sell the others then I'll recoup half my cost. If they are all junk then I will learn a lesson

judy, Lucille.b and bercrystal like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

When you get them, nice photos please! I think the other scramble isn’t new, fwiw.

3. KikoBlueEyes

My thought also. I looked it up before I posted this and i got back an interesting answer. Yes. I'll post them all with better pics. Hopefully there will be one treasure in the lot. Thank you for your help

judy, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Thank everyone who responded. I bought them and hopefully we will all have some fun looking at them with better pics.

5. KikoBlueEyes

judy, Aquitaine and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting haul, should be at least a couple of GOOD ones!!

If I'm remembering correctly as well, the "rose cane" might also have a tiny "c" in the middle of that one! Here are some clichy ones that might help:

https://www.theglassgallery.com/artists/116221/antique-clichy - IF you go here, click on the LAST paperweight showing, then when that enlarges, it's rotating, but click on the tiny image of it, showing the rose cane! Oh, here's the image -

Clichy with  Rose cane.jpg

"How do you identify a Clichy paperweight?"
    Clichy has an easily identifiable rose cane that they use over and over in their millefiori compositions. Meanwhile, the Saint Louis factory is the usual suspect if you see a 'dancing devil' silhouette cane in its compositions.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Kiko.... I see a couple of other interesting weights in the picture of them all.
    I think the signature cane is the one I arrowed in that weight.. In the picture of all 18 weights I think I can see something in the center of that cane......Plus it is the only one that is different than the rest of the ones circling the weight. I think you done good!

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Yes, There is something in the center of that cane when enlarged. I can't tell if it's a 12 or star or something else. But I do see something there.

weights.jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. What great information and links. I had no idea how to assess these pieces once I get them. I so appreciate you taking the time to put this together. I'll take photos of the two scrambles first from all angles and post them once they come. She said she would send them tomorrow. We can conduct the hunt for the rose cane together! Thank you so much.

judy, bercrystal and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Aquitaine

I’m off my computer now, on iPad so no enlarging program, but I do think I see a star in the middle of this last one that
    @Bdigger circled…..

11. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I sure hope so. I already have a small Perthshire weight, it could use a buddy, but I was hoping for at least one other special piece. She put them on the floor, and took overhead shots, so it's hard to see anything in detail. That detail in the weight that you pointed to is very interesting indeed and could be a signature cane. I appreciate you pointing it out. I didn't see it. She posted a couple more pictures.

390267404_6723710981056782_3893522170754159371_n (3).jpg 391926754_6928496163876240_2960916644814191905_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    judy likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I'll research star cane in paperweights. Thank you very much.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    judy likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hope you hit the jackpot. :) Definitely report back!

Very fun looking at these and following the thread.

14. KikoBlueEyes

Don't worry. I'll bore you to tears with these 18 weights before I'm done. ;)

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not all clichy has rose canes, mine doesn’t.

16. KikoBlueEyes

Good to know. Thank you.

judy likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

@KikoBlueEyes, if I can ever FIND my tucked away Clichy, will post an image of the 'rose cane'!!!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

IMG_4520.JPG
    You have it tucked away!!!!!!!!!!! I would give it center spot. My weights are nothing compared to your Clichy (except maybe the Josh Simpson Inhabited World). I want to see it. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

@KikoBlueEyes, Just about dinner time, so will photo mine later! (I started digging and it was hiding in a pouch- 3rd place I looked!!!!! :happy: - but happy I found it!!!!) BUT, don't know if you saved the site I posted once, a while after I sold the other of my 2 paperweights, but this nice gentleman bought the other....and has a HUGE website of his collection, ....he buys AND sells, but his site is an EDUCATION to boot!!!! There's a LOT to look at:

https://www.paperweights.com/paperweights/

ENJOY poking around....it's NOT a 'quick' stop!!!:happy::happy::):)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Enjoy your dinner. I have that link and very much enjoyed perusing it. Thank you tracking it down. I will enjoy seeing your Clichy.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted