Featured Opinions on the age of these handkerchiefs

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by baileybae, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

To tag somebody, type the @ symbol and then start typing the username you want to tag. Do not put a space after the @ symbol. After you type the first three letters, numbers, or even spaces in the name, any usernames that begin with what you've typed will pop up. If there's more than one they will be in a list. You can either keep typing the one you want, or if you see the one you want on the list, click on it. That will insert the rest of the username. It will also add a space after the username. After insertion you can just keep typing what you want to say. The tag will NOT look like a link until after you post what you've typed.

If you want to practice tagging me, or anybody else, feel free!

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Joan,
    I'm in total agreement! I believe you are right re: shams. They just didn't look right for handkerchiefs to me!

Leslie

Joan likes this.
  4. baileybae

baileybae Active Member

These measure 12" square. Also I noticed a sheen to the fabric, possibly has a silk content.

Joan likes this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Since these pieces are 12" square, then my guess is they had a wide border of material and possibly a lace edging. To determine the fiber content, you could cut off a small piece of the frayed material and do a burn test. Hold the piece to be tested with tweezers that you don't mind messing up, and hold it over a fire-proof dish or ashtray before holding a match to it. Carefully sniff the smoke -- cotton and linen both smell like burning paper, but cotton leaves a soft gray ash and linen leaves a soft black ash. Silk smells like burning hair or feathers and leaves a black soft bead. Finely-woven linen can have a soft sheen.

Draft saved Draft deleted