Old watercolor painting of Churchill over looking a harbor during the war?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I just looked up Maltese fisherman hats and they do resemble the ones on the painting. I never would of thought to look for that. Good job! Thank you.

2. Armando0831

I think the agreement is, that without any real identifiable marks in the painting, that this could be anyone that had ties to wherever that port is. I do like the lead of the hats being Maltese. If I were a betting man, I would think that the painting of the large head, would be someone from that region. Next step is to contact an art gallery in Malta and see if they recognize the signature and style of paintings. That's about the best I can do with this case.

3. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I was going to say it looked like Chairman Mao.

4. moontymes

There is a breed of dog called Maltese. My favorite breed! i had one as a child and it was just like a stuffed animal.

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

it was just like a stuffed animal.

I'm not sure loose stitching with bits of kapok falling out is what I'd be looking for in a pet. Funny thing is, if you left in the back of a closet for weeks on end, that's pretty much what it would look like.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  6. moontymes

LMAO but mean! Awwwww!

7. moontymes

AF, here's a drawing that my dad had commissioned of him. Isn't he a doll?

[​IMG]

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  8. afantiques

Tennessas Dudley Popcorn?

Toad is a dog's name. Or Ratbag. 2 grand dogs I have known. Sylvester, abbreviated to Silly, just passable for the right dog, or possibly Hector.

I agree the beast looks cute, but does he dream of wolves and forests?

9. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

As a child, we had a dog named Towser. Now that is a dog name!
    :D

10. afantiques

A dog's name should be something that can be barked. It makes it easier for the dog to learn.

11. moontymes

Guys, guys. Calm down. My little one was the product of two AKC champion show dogs, Tennessa's Black Jack Fox, and Colonel Chancey Popcorn. We decided to add part of each parent's names for my pup's formal, AKC-registered name. But the name we called him was Dudley. Nothing wrong with Dudley, right? I realize the Tennessa and Popcorn part is kind of chav, as you say across the pond, AF, but then, so is owning a little white dog, right? Now that I have a family of my own, my kids want either a yellow lab or a Cavaliere.

12. afantiques

A friendly mongrel from a dog rescue place is best.

13. Armando0831

I have a full blood chocolate lab that I saved from biting the bullet. I got her, Teal, from a guy who bought her to be trained as a bird dog. She was about a yr old. He spent the money on her to be trained but realized that it was going to cost alot more than he expected. He was about to shoot her, when I said I will take her. He had no problem with that. That's been about 5 yrs ago. She still sits on command and stays. I can walk off as far as I want, turn around and yell for her to come, and she won't move until she hears my command. She likes to fetch and all. I'll throw a ball very far, while she is sitting on my command, clap my hand and she will run to retrieve the ball. She's a very smart dog. Hate to see the day she's no longer with us. It will be hard to replace her.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. afantiques

He was about to shoot her, when I said I will take her.

What kind of savages do you live among?

15. Armando0831

That was back in Oklahoma, which I'm glad to say I no longer live in. He was a guy that my brother in law knew. I didn't know him personally. That area in Oklahoma is very backwards and very old set in their ways. That's still no excuse to be that cruel though.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  16. moontymes

that's horrible, Armando! I'm glad you had a heart and took the poor thing in. To think someone would shoot an animal because he was costing too much money. That's so cruel.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It can happen. In this country, pets are property. On the other hand, shooting the dog would have earned him an animal cruelty beef in these parts. Unfortunately, we still can't shoot idiots of the two-legged variety.

18. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, I see Mao also. Some of those fisherman look a little oriental to me also. Whenever Mao was pictured in a hat it was similar to this one. Red China was big on displaying huge posters with the figure of Mao hovering over everything and everyone. Most of those propaganda poster/pictures were emphasizing industrial supposed progress of China.
    http://chineseposters.net/images/e13-866.jpg
    http://chineseposters.net/images/e13-644.jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Com...rg=20140407115239&rk=1&rkt=30&sd=400488719841

-- Susan

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  19. Armando0831

I contacted the National Museum of Fine Arts in Malta and got an email back from the curator. He stated that he believes that these paintings are not of Malta and that the artist name is not Maltese. Looks like I'm back to ground zero on this one.

20. Armando0831

Now that you mention it, I have seen that picture of Mao posing in that picture with industrial equipment. The figures do look Asian to me as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted