Old tourist souvenir

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chinoiserie, May 5, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I found this recently. It appears to be a brass bell in the form of Dunster yarn market. It really looks quite old. Too old to be a souvenir. What else would it be though.

IMG20240505193336_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240505193342_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240505193348_copy_3000x4000.jpg

2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I am probably wrong,but personally it doesn’t look that old to be me. I would have definitely thought souvenir. Maybe from the 70’s or so..

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Dunster Yarn Market souvenir bell.

Dunster, Somerset

Aquitaine, Marote, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

5. Chinoiserie

I thought it was older than that. I thought that clappers like that went out with the ark.

Boland likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When do you think Homo touristus first emerged?

Indeed.

7. Chinoiserie

Not sure. You'll be telling me people wear jesus crucifixes round their necks next.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

So, I wonder how far back souvenirs go then. Any great fire of London momentos or perhaps miniature guillotines from the french revolution, complete with aristocrats' heads in a bucket :rolleyes:

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They tried hitting bells with a wooden spoon, but that didn't have the same ring to it.:wacky::playful:
    Clappers like this one are still being made.;)

Bronwen and Chinoiserie like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if there are still locks of hair taken from severed royal heads tucked away in French closets. Bet conquering Roman armies & pillaging barbarian hordes brought back mementos, although not things specifically made for the purpose. Religious pilgrims would have been a market for purpose-made items.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.