Featured Old Postcard Help Chief Rising Sun

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Jul 10, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Great images! There were a lot of traveling Wild West type shows that toured nationally and even internationally. Buffalo Bills being the most famous. After the Indian Wars / Battle at Little Big Horn it was a somewhat attractive option for a Native American. Your dignity was probably impacted. It might be better than wasting away on a reservation though. Sitting Bull was one of the last great War chiefs, staunchly opposed to giving in to the white man. After he had no choice and was put on a reservation he chose to be a clown in the white mans cities rather than just sit on a reservation and do nothing. At least he got to roam and sit on his horse in the Wild West shows was the thinking I guess. Sad way for a proud brave to wind up but but it could get worse.

If anyone is familiar with ‘The Rest is History” podcast they just did a big seven part series on Custer & Sitting Bull. I had read a book or two on the subject in the past but this was still a really great look into the events.

Link to first episode for anyone interested. https://open.spotify.com/episode/0rUhquXHk4n9caJHyW8Fhi?si=VHtNNuPiRvCAcM08_q6kOw

cxgirl, 2manybooks and Marote like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Ancestors on my maternal grandfather's side were from Stonington. Maybe a relative in one of the photos!!

Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted