Featured Ohm'gosh - Newcombe College pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow, Evelyb.

I remember you posted an "estate sale you wished you could go to" but it was too far. Was that the same weekend? Maybe all your competitors were over there leaving this treasure for you to find.

That has to be the find of the decade. Plus sterling? Wowza.

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ruth you are one lucky gal to have found that.

bercrystal, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This may be the find of a lifetime!

4. verybrad

American art pottery is kind of a category of its own. There are a handfull of exceptional potteries that command great prices. American collectors tend to be snobs, collecting only American pottery. The best of the best command huge prices with top collectors vying for limited inventory.

Would say, as a whole, the rest of the world has a lot more to offer but not much that American art pottery collectors are interested in. I am a bit of an exception, as I do appreciate a good European pot.

5. verybrad

Record price for a Newcomb pot is $169,000.00. OP's pot is not this nice but certainly worthy of contacting a good auction about.

Newcomb vase nails record price at Neal's $1.5M Summer Estates Auction (liveauctioneers.com)

Record price for American art pottery is $570,000.00 for this Frederick Hurten Rhead piece.

John Moran auction sets record for American art pottery (liveauctioneers.com)

Some utilitarian American pottery can bring even more. This piece by enslaved potter, Dave Drake, sold by Crocker Farms brought $1.56 Million! Note the damage.... :eek:

Crocker Farm Smashes American Pottery Record With $1.56 Million Dave Jar - Antiques And The Arts WeeklyAntiques And The Arts Weekly

kentworld, Lucille.b, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ruth I suggest you put that once in a lifetime find away from your kitties.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's on top of a tallboy dresser. Next to the wall. And I have a cat who doesn't jump.

I knew it was $$$, but ...holy crud. The record piece Verybrad found is by the same designer!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Here's hoping you win the Antiquers Pick of the Year !!:happy:

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Wow! What a score! Happy for you!

11. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

12. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member