Featured New game: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Jan 23, 2016.

1. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks for a prompt response, Brad. Should you or anyone question any of my comments please do not hesitate to openly or privately ask for clarification. Or even an apology if you thought I was out of line.

Now a question for you, Brad. Would it any way disrupt your goal if, for example, I borrowed and greatly magnified a picture for close scrutiny and then offered comments here based on a very close-up examination? If so, would you mind if it were done WITHOUT public comments.

My intent would be to offer an opinion the same as I would if I were standing in your presence closely studying a piece you are offering for sale. I often find on this site - the entire site - not just this thread - that I may have a problem deciphering a picture/image even with a magnifying glass.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    verybrad likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Aren't you overthinking the playful nature of this thread....just a little ?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. TheOLdGuy

Possibly, Komo. If, that is, you're referring to my last response to Brad. Let me know if you think I'm not on the right track based on his last responses quoting my previous posts.
    I welcome criticism.
    Edit.Re: that gd cabin pic. I actually, without magnifying it, believe I might be seeing serious faults.

komokwa likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

No problem at all. If you want to present your magnified picture for everyone, that is fine as well. I seem to think that there is a limit to what can be uploaded here so if there is a way to do it in a thumbnail or a link, it might be better. I might remind that the browsers allow pages to be magnified as well. I think someone mentioned how to do it on page one.

I am finding limitations to digital photography presented on the internet. My pictures look better than they do once loaded to the internet but I know that I desperately need a better camera and photo set up. Add to this that some were just snapshots taken quickly in the first place and edited to a smaller size, it compounds the problem when trying to present them in a viewable size here.

This has become blatantly apparent with both these pictures offered for this second pair. I will try to choose better photos moving forward but can't guarantee that I won't have some substandard photos along the way. I would hope that people can look beyond the photography and find some value in viewing the artwork.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nahh TOG....I don't mean to get in your way.....if you really want to drill down deep into one of the paintings......

You just seemed to be getting very serious on what for me, seems a lighthearted thread.

But please...by all means ...express your feelings as you see fit !!

No harm......no foul !!

KingofThings and verybrad like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This exercise is also educational for those of us who are online sellers. To buyers, our items only look as good as our photos, and if the photos aren't reasonably accurate, buyers (1) may pass our items by or (2) be disappointed when they receive the item.

7. TheOLdGuy

Brad, your pictures are fine. They equal 99% of those I see on any threads. I'ts I who have problems deciphering many parts of them. Sort of a depth and peripheral views obstacle.

verybrad likes this.
  8. verybrad

You are not the only one who expressed desire to see better views. I am happy to provide them if I have them. In the case of the cabin scene, all I have is one 600 pixel width photo to work with.

This exercise definitely has opened my eyes regarding picture quality for artwork. Art never really looks as good in photos anyway so presenting it in the best possible light is imperative. Many of the photos I have are better than these here in the second pair but know I need to do even better.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. TheOLdGuy

Brad, I can "borrow" and tweak the pictures you provide - when and if necessary. Please don't delay your project for a better view. Everyone likes this thread, as far as I know, better than anything else on this site.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((***********************))))))))))))))))))))))))

OK, KOMO, this is just for you. No one else welcome. :cat:

I'm not a very emotional guy. I don't cry at funerals. :hurting:

The 80 year old memories - all good - that cabin opened - blindsided me. If you asked me a few days ago if I recalled childhood cabins I would only have thought of an uncle's one on a lake. Dock, canoe, etc.
    But I found one big fault, often stated, that prevented me from wanting to own that cabin pic. Then someone snuck up again and whopped me on the head with a frame I accepted as absolutely perfect. You're aware of my spouting off after that.

Now, I am, without magnifying, finding what might be discouraging me. 1. Note what might be a funnel effect on the chimney smoke. Realistic?
    Bottom line: What am I offering to Brad? A fully considered opinion? Or one based on quick glance?
    Yes, you are absolutely right. I'm treating it very seriously. See paragraph 3.

komokwa and verybrad like this.
  10. verybrad

I always took that to be another tree, as I see no chimney. Agree that it is a bit bothersome. I think it probably was done with a pallet knife and the effect is from dragging it in an arc movement. Some of the other tree branches are done this way as well but not so solitary as this one to be as distracting.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. TheOLdGuy

WillCYLmañana

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Brad!!!!!!!

KingofThings and verybrad like this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The frames certainly complement both of the second set of pictures . I often change the frames on art ,now I see the difference it makes I might do it more thoughtfully . :)

14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The frame for 2 is ideal.

The squidge between the trees is , to my eye, the most distracting thing in the work.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. verybrad

Comments seem to be waning so I'll add my 2 cents here.

Painting A is quite competent if not exciting. It is a typical pleasant Fall landscape that most anyone should be OK with having in their house for decorative purposes. There is nothing there to intrigue or challenge the viewer. Composition is pretty good with your eye drawn to the flow of the river. It is not overly symmetrical, which often drives me crazy in such works.

I think the frame fits it rather well for display in a fairly traditional home. While somewhat fancy, it is not overly ornate and is not one of the frames that you see over and over and over again. I would not hesitate to change it if it did not fit my decor and I liked the painting otherwise.

Painting B is more interesting and I like it quite a bit. The rather small size does limit its impact and would prefer it a bit larger. Though, I could see finding just a right place for it. It seems to tell a bit of a story and the technique is more challenging to view. The technique is less literal than in painting A and more is left to the viewer to interpret. You really get the sense of a cold hard winter with necessary chores having to be done. You also get a feeling of isolation and self-dependence. It is a darker image emotionally and I tend to be more drawn to such. I do find the "funnel" tree in the center a bit distracting. The band of snow does not bother me and I did not notice it until it was pointed out.

I think the frame is fine for this but don't think it particularly enhances or detracts from the painting. I am not a fan of white liners on frames and this has a white painted one (I like white linen liners even less). I would prefer something darker overall to provide more contrast to the painting but do like the width of the frame. I also think a relatively plain silver leaf frame would work with this.

KingofThings and 42Skeezix like this.
  16. verybrad

I got to thinking about the "funnel" in the cabin painting and now think maybe it could be smoke. A cabin in the dead of winter should have a chimney with smoke trailing from it. I have looked at both pics of the painting several times and think there may be a small chimney (smokestack) there. It seems that the cabin should have a larger one somewhere else on the main part of the house and think I could see one off on the left behind the big tree. No smoke trailing from it though...... Either way, this part of the painting is a bit distracting in execution, no matter what it is.

17. verybrad

Looks like maybe we are done with these two. Opinions were again mixed but people seemed to generally like these two better than the first pair. Painting B seems to get a bit of a nod over A in this regard. They were chosen due to the fact that they are both landscapes by listed Indiana artists and painted around the same time (probably 1950s). There is a contrast in the styles and one painting presents warm while the second is cool in color palette.

Painting A is by Hazyl Craig Fowler (1887-1978). I think you will find she is listed in various resources and will find more examples of her work on the internet. She was a semi-professional artist and painted for many years. Her works seem to have a following but values are not particularly high. Her works sell mostly under $500.00.

I bought this particular painting at the thrift store for $20.00. It had some condition problems with a couple small punctures and some damage to the frame. I sold it fairly easily for $150.00 with free shipping on ebay after trying a couple times for $199.00 without results. I don't believe I ever had it in my store.

Painting B is by Claude Curry Bohm (1894-1971). He is considered one of the better Brown County, Indiana artists and has a strong following. I think you will find him listed in all major American art references and many examples of his work are on the internet. His works have sold up to about $30K but most sell much more modestly. You can find his biography here.....

http://fineestateart.com/artists/c_curry_bohm

I bought this painting in a small antique shop about 50 miles from home. I had remembered seeing it at one point and being attracted to it. I had intended to look in to it at the time but forgot. I went back over a year later and the painting was still there. I became more interested in the painting. I went home, did some research, and negotiated the sale over the phone. I paid $400.00 for it.

I quickly consigned it to Jackson's auction in Indiana. They gave me a $1500.00 guaranteed return with an auction estimate of 2-2.5K. The painting was featured in their catalog and was the kick-off lot for the auction. I think this was Fall 2012 if not mistaken.

Bohm is know for such Winter scenes and I had hopes that the painting would perform beyond estimate. I was concerned about it being the first lot of the auction but the auction company felt that the first lot was a good place for it and that it would do well. Besides, they had given me a guaranteed return on the painting which is a bit unheard of in such circumstances.

The painting is very typical of his works but on the small side. I believe that this is the reason that the painting did not meet reserve initially (or maybe it is that odd funnel feature ;)). It was then offered at reserve and it sold. I had my check within a week and, all things considered, was quite happy with the return.

42Skeezix, gregsglass, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  18. TheOLdGuy

Thanks for that info. Brad.
    Claude Curry Bohm is certainly all over the internet. Similar to the cabin one on several pieces. And have to say, with a smile, that some of the snow scenes seemed to be - just a bit - leaning left. :confused:
    That "funnel," on very first view, I attributed to chimney smoke. But, after all comments I agree it could be interpreted more than a few different ways.

I am also happy to know that you realized a nice profit on it.

Looking forward to more samples and will promise to keep my passions under more disciplined control. :blackalien:

19. verybrad

Pair #3

Painting A: Pen and ink / ink wash approx. 10" x 12"
    pair3a.jpg

Painting B: Colored pencil Approx. 9" x 10"
    pair3b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I like A better than B. I am partial to NYC though.
    greg

verybrad and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted