Featured New game: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very interesting back story, Brad. This is a great thread idea!

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Brad... this comment of yours will particularly stick with me...
    "...comments here seem to suggest that it tends to elicit feelings at polar opposites. This may be better than a painting that is pleasant but doesn't elicit any strong feelings." You helped me clarify a thought: a wonderfully-done painting may not be memorable/enjoyable. A painting with flaws may be very memorable/enjoyable. This was really interesting.

KingofThings and verybrad like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Forgot to add that both paintings in the first pair were of similar size (approx. 20" x 24"). Only the birds painting was framed. It was a simple 1 1/2" gold frame that did not do a lot for the painting.

Going forward, I will list approximate size on the paintings in case that makes a difference. Paintings will be presented without frames so as not to have frames influence opinion. I will probably provide photos with frames at some point later within the thread.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

Pair #2 (pics should enlarge)

Painting A: aprox. 22" x 30"
    pair2a.jpg

Painting B: approx. 9" x 15"
    pair2b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

I might add that the sky is a bit washed out in the pic of painting A but it is yellow.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Ah - I find both of these so boring I wouldn't give either a second glance.

7. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

This is a great idea...I am hoping it will help to up my art analysis skills (of which I have none). That being said, I think I concur with Bookahtoo. They are both kind of monochromatic and sort of flat (?), so they both have that in common. Painting A reminds me of a faded out vintage jigsaw puzzle. Painting B seems to be leaning to the left all over (maybe that's just my imagination). But my eye is led to the upper left-hand corner and there is nothing there! It also seems a little blurry/out-of-focus to me.

KingofThings, cxgirl and verybrad like this.
  8. verybrad

Be sure to enlarge these to view them at their best. However, I think we have to accept the limitations of my digital photography here. I had to enlarge painting B so it may be a bit blurry. I will say that the painting is kind of soft-focus anyway.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

A: ho hum another amateur artist trying to paint. actually the prominent tree on the left is pretty well executed.

B: like this one a bit better. pulls me into someone's life of going back to the 'old homestead' only to find out that he wishes he had just relied on his memories of it instead.

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I actually like both of those . Especially the 2nd one . I probably wouldn't buy the 1st one , mainly because Ive got way too many landscapes already ! But the 2nd one , with its impressionist feel , appeals to my love of cabins . :)

11. verybrad

Here is another pic of painting A that is not as washed out in the sky.
    pair2a2.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I kind of like A, water has nice reflections. B is too fuzzy.
    Don't have any wall-space to spare for either though.

13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

A needs a hunter, fisherman, deer,, cottage, just some point. Seems like a rather well executed mid century sofa painting....ehh...not for me. Dull.

B strikes me as more of a "student of" image.
    In the school of Bucks County plein air impressionists sort of thing. They LOVE their snow in Bucks county. Probably western though.
    It is a little cockeyed here 'n there, thus "in the school of."
    The mountain peak should be on the other side. That might cure the left leaning feeling, and the tree tops are a little weird. Windy?
    Artists CAN move mountains ;).

Circa...1920s 30s?

I like this one.

Straighten it up a tiny little bit and I'd like it a lot more.

One of my favorite genres is Bucks County impressionism.

14. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks again for your experiment, Brad.

Yes, Pic. A #1 is very bright with a lot of yellow sky on my monitor. But A - 2 is better, sharper. The clouds show much more clearly.

My opinion of A. OK! Relatively run of the mill. Well done but of little appeal to me. If I gifted it to one of my offspring it might be hung in a remote room.

B has a bit more appeal. Mainly because it reminds me of a cabin in the country we had when I was a child. Spent mostly weekends there, never a full week. Tremendous at blueberry picking time. It was year 3 or 4 before an old fashioned (but probably brand new at the time :)) water pump was added in the kitchen. I do not remember if we had electricity. Maybe not.
    The somewhat blurred technique helps bring out the emotions, but if I were painting it (NO CHANCE FOR THAT EVER TO HAPPEN) I would have eliminated that long, wide strip of snow behind the cabin. I cannot guess what it's there for. Not a pasture, too long and narrow. Not a road or passage way. Certainly not a ski slope. Charges my curiosity as to what the heck it is, and therefore over-rides my enjoyment of the picture.

verybrad likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, IMHO....A-2 is a bit blurry, but the colors are definitely balancing the picture better! This being said, I still would not buy it......just too plain for me.....with an awful lot of orange and yellow.

Thank goodness I'm no art critic!! B looks to me rather like someone whipped it together rather quickly....again, not for me.......

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I'd like to repeat Brad's closing remark to the previous pair, along with my reaction there.
    Thanks, Brad... this comment of yours will particularly stick with me...
    "...comments here seem to suggest that it tends to elicit feelings at polar opposites. This may be better than a painting that is pleasant but doesn't elicit any strong feelings." You helped me clarify a thought: a wonderfully-done painting may not be memorable/enjoyable. A painting with flaws may be very memorable/enjoyable.

Point in fact. Both will appeal to some people. People-pleasing Polyannas like me can find stuff to like and compliment, but...
    Neither, for me, is memorable or meaningful.
    Unless I know the artist is reading this, and then I like it much more!
    SERIOUSLY... because then it would have meaning.
    Yes, this is really how my mind works.
    Great thread, Brad!

17. verybrad

I think I just learned a lot here :wideyed:

antidiem, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Okay, my turn...

A -- It's a "pretty picture." The first photo of it is actually more appealing to me since there's more life and contrast. The second photo looks so monochromatic that it looks kind of dull. Not sure which photo is truer to the painting? To my eye, the artist is skilled but not creative, so there's no drama, nothing to draw your eye in or stir your curiosity. It's all surface, with no heart, soul, or imagination. I wouldn't buy it, but if I happened to own it I might hang it in a hallway or stairwell.

B -- I actually like this painting even though some of the trees look like they were done with not too much skill. But the scene has depth, adds a human touch with the figure, and piques my curiosity. I probably wouldn't buy it, but if I happened to own this one I might hang it in a grouping with other works. Although I appreciate realism in good paintings, my favorites are usually impressionist ones.

verybrad and KingofThings like this.
  19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I resonate, Pat.

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  20. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like the perspective work in both and agree the reason B is pulling left is that the mountain does take you there and everything is leaning that way.
    This being said, those buildings are probably old and doing just that (prevailing winds and storms?) which may teach us that reality doesn't always transfer well to the canvas.
    Seems photography would likely serve B better if this is the case. At least you knew this was what was going on.
    Were I to have them in front of me I may be more interested.

verybrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted