Featured Need help identifying strange looking teapot/kettle.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by PaulaWollney, Dec 1, 2016.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I too enjoyed the information shared on what this item was. I don't remember reading this thread when it was originally posted.

So the tread is four years old, it doesn't hurt to bring it to the top again.
    Resurrecting old threads might help someone recognize something they have and didn't know what it was.

As you say there are thousands of threads on the board. When I come on, I just read New threads recently posted, and the New Posts first page. I don't have time to go through everything posted during the day. I'm sure I miss a lot.

kyratango, Bronwen, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

for Schnaps, different companies in and around Cologne used these Westerwald salt glaze jugs in the typical "Cologne brown".
    bartmann1 (1280x750).jpg bartmann2 (1280x983).jpg

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think everyone knows what side of the fence I'm on regarding old posts. You can spend your time bumping things up for no reason other than to give the last person a high-five, but it moves other people to the next page--other people who have real questions. It may be interesting to read about these things you somehow missed, but that's an infinite project.

Bronwen, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It may be nice to read an old thread, but it is also nice to know how old it is.
    I think komo provides a good service in this respect.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:)

Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

:kiss:;)

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem. especially as the infos given then are not verified.

"Reinhold Merkelbach 'designed' a series of 45 reproduction Bellarmine jugs in the 1910 to 1920 era, all copies of original Bellarmine jugs that were in museums in Germany"
    where does that come from ???? IMO complete BS probably by someone that has no idea about the matter; a good example how those endlessly existing online fairytales are made up. these are massproduced Schnaps containers that existed in the hundred-thousands and existed already before 1910.
    that might be not interesting to some, butt...

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My only problem with schnapps containers is they most often no longer contain any schnapps.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you could play Schipp Schnapp instead.
    [​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  10. komokwa

the only origami i ever learned to make........:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Bronwen and Fid like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it's actually Schnipp-Schnapp.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. evelyb30

We always called it the fortune-teller, but that was in grade school. You could play rock-paper-scissors-Spock with it.:vulcan::vulcan::vulcan:

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

schnipp is the sound of scissors, schnapp is snatch, snap, grab or even hold fast. so the same.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. evelyb30

Schnapps would make it into a good drinking game! (and I'd bet money somebody already has done it.)

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not somebody but a whole canton ! in the canton of Thurgau on Lake Constance there was a special summernights party along the promenade where thousands of people played cards. the famous Bodenseejass. rules were differing from village to village. normally it was played by four. the first ace played had to drink half of a stein of beer, the second ace the other half, the third a complete stein and the last had to pay.
    goes with Schnaps and cider as well... as my favorite uncle told me; the consequences were "widespread" - he woke up besides a charming girl once and they found out that they were 5th degree cousins.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Oops - at least they weren't closely related.(LOL) That sounds more like a Jaegermeister story. (tastes nasty for those who don't know ...and who should be grateful .. and it has a reputation for unleashing really crazy behavior.)

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it's a very beautiful corner and has deep connections with France.
    https://napoleonmuseum.tg.ch/en.html/7107

it is said that many young men in the surrounding villages had an astonishing similarity to Napoleon III...

18. evelyb30

...and should all now do Ancestry, 23 or whatever tests before their descendants marry? (LOL) I would not be the least surprised.

Fid likes this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

why ? I thought they do that along the whole Appalachian Trail, too.

20. evelyb30

In some parts down there you married your cousin as a matter of course. Populations were so small and isolated there wasn't much choice. My great-grandmother and her sister married first cousins, in a small town in upstate New York. (LOL) No lie.

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted