Native or Inuit Gauntlets Gloves?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, Aug 10, 2017.

1. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I forget what year he wrote it, but it has become so popular that a lot of musicians learned it from others who neglected to mention that it was not a traditional tune, but a composed piece; and as a result a lot of recordings exist calling it "the Canadian Waltz" and listing it as traditional....I imagine that means that Rodgers' estate gets no royalties from those recordings.
    (My wife and I did pay him the appropriate fee. I might be able to link to our version, but I'd have to get it online first....maybe I'll just post one of the photos of our stuffed Ookpik sitting on top of the mandolin and autoharp from the CD graphics).
    In the meantime, here's another nice version.

This kind of thing has been going on forever.....a lot of musicians know the traditional Irish tune "Fisher's Hornpipe." It was actual written by fiddler James Fishar in 1790, and is correctly called "Fishar's Hornpipe." By 1800, most musicians were calling it by the incorrect name, and believed it to be traditional.

komokwa likes this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Another name for the tune Ookpik Waltz is "Eskimo Waltz." Written around 1965 by the legendary Frankie Rodgers of Mission BC, "King of the Country Fiddlers," 1936-2009, who had a 60-year musical career, backing many well-known country musicians (Hank Snow, George Jones, Lefty Frizzel, Jim Reeves, Ray Price among others) and bringing Canadian fiddle styles into mainstream US country/western music.

Draft saved Draft deleted