Native American Squash Blossom

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BobtheGrizz, Aug 22, 2024.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Can you recheck this area? It looks flattened and a possible mark. IMG_4421.jpeg

2. BobtheGrizz

BobtheGrizz New Member

3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I think it's lovely that you're looking into a cherished object of a person you loved. She probably made a lot of amazing memories in it, and clearly you did too with her in it.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

'It could be an imported piece?'

No one called it junk......... BUT......... if it turns out to be an offshore imported item meant to simulate an authentic 1st Nations jewelry art form....... which confuses the public and takes bread off the table of hard working Native American artists........

then........ it's junk !

The amount of fake Native American art work that abounds in the marketplace , is a crime against the 1st Nation people..... and there are laws in place to try and stem the tide........ but it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube !

Taupou, reader, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And this is exactly why we look at it with a critical eye. Not to dismiss your mother's love for her necklace, but in an effort to find the truth and protect an important art form and its makers, as well as buyers.

DragonflyWink, Taupou, reader and 4 others like this.
  6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOL. Didn’t comment as I had nothing to add. The beads IMO say it all along with the quality of everything else. I don’t think it’s silver either but you need to doublecheck that. No clue on origin other than IMO not Navajo. Sorry OP although IMO it has some value as a decorative SW costume piece. My head is still reeling from having just returned from Santa Fe and Gallup. Actually bought a pair of earrings from Perry Null-I wanted new large hoops and bought a pair of pretty simple Zuni ones. IMG_2024-08-23-130111.jpeg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

travel photo's ???????????????/ eh? huh ???:)

8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Too many. Just love it there! Deleted almost everything once I posted on FB but you know…just amazing stuff both new and old.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I tried fiddling with it too and while it sure looks like there is something there, l also know rhat looks can be deceiving. Hope it's something!
    upload_2024-8-23_17-30-16.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
  10. Any Jewelry

Oh, lovely!:)
    I am a large hoop earrings girl too, but I don't have any Zuni ones.

reader likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

TY They were just what I wanted and I know when I buy from Perry I’m buying what he tells me it is and his prices are a fraction of Santa Fe prices.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree. Beside what’s coming in from Asia there is still so much genuine silver and stones coming out of Mexico that looks NA but at least it’s stamped Mexico.

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nothing more to say regarding the necklace, but was just wondering if anyone has had any luck in getting eBay to remove incorrectly IDed NA pieces? I typically message the sellers once, sometimes they change or remove it (but not often), more often ignoring me, then I start reporting every few months and have yet to see any removed. I've reported the one below several times over the last few years, and yet it remains. It is an Indian spoon (from India), wrongly described, and priced, ummm, 'optimistically' (they did put it on sale a while back, reducing it by $500).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255297557327

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Navajo-spoon-from-India-8.jpg

Heh, I'd just reported it again when it came up in my watchlist before posting here, and they finally removed it! So it does sometimes happen - here are a couple of images:

Navajo-spoon-from-India-1.jpg

Navajo-spoon-from-India-2 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Almost all of their reports go through automation so you must either find the right keywords to use that the AI will act on, or you have to use a report section that goes through humans. It's a terrible system.

DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

No reported listings I have made have been removed since eBay started using AI, even when the listings said the item was "made in Pakistan," but still were listed as "Native American." So I gave up. No use trying to compete with AI!

Apparently it is now a complete waste of time to "report" a listing, as was probably the intent of eBay. The more listings, the more money the company makes.

And I didn't know there was a way to actually reach a real person. I've been on an extended "road trip" to the Santa Fe Indian Market and Gregory Schaaf's Free Market for the last couple weeks (just got back) and have a lot of catching up to do!

17. Any Jewelry

Wow, thank you for persevering, good work and good result!
    Wonder how they were able to identify the stone as Cerrillos turquoise.:angelic::hilarious:

As an aside, the heart shape in Indian art is generally a betel leaf. It symbolizes hospitality, love, fidelity and purity, among others.

DragonflyWink, reader and komokwa like this.
  18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

The only reason I knew it still worked was they removed a "bovine bone" brooch I listed because it was "ivory" (it was definitely not) and according to the AI I needed to specify what animal the "bovine bone" came from in order to sell it.

................:grumpy:

I relisted as "bone" only and it stayed up and sold.

Meanwhile, plenty of listings saying things are ivory (they're not) that don't go down. :cyclops:

It took two tries to get a bootleg Blu-ray removed. Second time I tried a slightly different copyright subsection and I put all the keywords from the report tree in it, like "dvd-r".

It's also taken me a couple tries to get a bunch of listings removed from a frequent scammer. The scammer goes email fishing for passwords on big established accounts, then lists a couple hundred listings, always with the same stolen photos from other sellers, with a "this is the actual price, don't bid, please email this address/go to this website to pay" in the description or in the second photo. The email or address is an obvious shady anonymous site, although sometimes they do try to make it look legit with ebay in the string somewhere. :rolleyes:

I basically try reporting a handful of listings in different subsections until one sticks that's clearly humans and not AI, then I go back and report more if they haven't nuked the whole page yet.

19. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:

reader and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted