My parent's dining suite timber type and era?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by REGinAUS, Feb 5, 2018.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I don`t think she/he can, no account confirmation and seems to be using a translator.
    Watch this space :rolleyes:

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

To my eye, the bulbous part on the legs seem to match on all pieces.

REGinAUS likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think it's hysterical how when someone posts an item in a room, we also tend to "scan" the room for other interesting items!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Good eye, Bev!!!!!

komokwa, REGinAUS, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I did notice her user name did not come up as a suggestion when I tried to tag her. But I see she is doing what I did when I first wandered in: reviewing older posts as well as current ones & leaving comments, for all kinds of items. I had to be prompted to create an Intro thread for myself, thought she might need to be invited in the same way.

Agree English not her first language, but she seems to manage just fine, however she is doing it. One of the great things about the site is the international participation. :happy:

James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

Brad, you are right. That bulbous part is exactly the same on all pieces, just different sizes. The whole lot is a dining suite (set?). It is quite possibly of British manufacture using American hardware for the extension mechanism or perhaps it was all made in the U.S.
    Yesterday I realised that I had forgotten how the extension mechanism works. It is not cable operated, but uses rack and pinion drives to move each table half, no matter which end you pull. I remember thinking how clever it was.
    Somewhere in this computer are photos of the dismantled table clearly showing the rack drives. I will post them, when I find them...
    As for terminology, I notice this has also been referred to as a library table and a sofa table. What determines which term should be used?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What ?
    We're all snoops !!!!
    :playful::watching::watching:

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, even if it doesn't get mentioned, it gets noticed.:peeking::pompous::droid:

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  8. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

More sharp eyes. Yes, that is Climax geared logging engine #1059 built in Corry, PA in 1910. Now operating at Durbin, WV. That's my other hobby... :)

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Climax. Should have known! My late father was a rail nut to end all rail nuts. He wasn't as big on logging engines, but if it ran on steam.... Are you a steam fan, or just the logging stuff? My grandfather and more than one great-uncle worked for the Erie RR and they infected my father.

10. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

All steam is good but I am particularly interested in the logging industry and their locomotives. I like the Shay and Heisler engines but the Climax is my favourite. The locos and their crews all have lots of character, probably because of the tough conditions in which they operated. I think it's important to keep their story and the history alive. That and the fact that I just like old stuff! Like all of us here, I suspect.

BTW Thank you all for contributing info about my Dining Suite. I think it is safe to say it is 1920s Jacobean Revival, solid oak, maybe made in the UK or possibly the USA. Also the origins of the WMF lady gracing the sideboard. From this website, http://www.ascasonline.org/windowFEBBRA105.html the hallmarks indicate she dates from between c1903-c1910. Now I like her even more...

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Shays are familiar too. My dad was into narrow gauge too, for similar reasons. It ran in the areas where you couldn't put the big trains and a lot of them hooked up to logging roads.

Draft saved Draft deleted