My glass is self-destructing : (

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TallCakes, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Some Pyrex can be used on gas flames if it's marked that way. The oven thing is I suspect because it's convected heat rather than a direct heat source, so more diffused - and even if the dish is cold it heats more gradually. And on a stove top probably gets hotter, too.

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

also another reason NOT to put antique glass in a dishwasher, as even the gentle cycle can get pretty hot...

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

If you can avoid it . . . don't store your glassware/glass cookware in a cupboard or kitchen cabinet which is "against" an outside wall, especially if you live in a cold(er) climate. ;)

4. TallCakes

I kept this stand on the kitchen counter (on an interior wall) and used it for cookies mostly, as I have a Co-Operative Flint dome that I kept on it. You can see how the crack 'grew' from the 2nd photo on the counter to the 3rd photo when I transferred the stand to my photo room. When I first noticed the smaller crack I couldn't even feel it but now a fingernail can detect it.

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Sorry to see that, sometimes a slight tap will start an unseeable flaw running.

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Tallcakes, my post wasn't directed toward you. I took the opportunity to post it thinking it "might" be helpful for new(er) collectors of glass(ware). ;)

7. TallCakes

I didn't take it that way; just thought best to be clear...

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sorry for your loss of a simple but pretty cake stand TallCakes.....:(

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I now fear paperweights.

trip98 likes this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I just posted this on another thread before I saw this one. Glass restorers are using a film that can fill in the cracks and stabilize it. I watched a video online and the crack just about disappeared. I'm not sure if this was the website but this is one of the sites that did amazing repairs.
    http://www.brueningglass.com/

11. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Add my condolences. Sorry about that.

Don't ask me how those originate. Possibly during manufacturing..
    This note is in every package of glass leaving my domicile - Large lettering and red.

IMPORTANT!
    READ BEFORE OPENING FURTHER.
    If this package has been in the cold or extreme heat allow it to return to room temperature before unwrapping.
    A quick change in temperature can break glass and other fragile items.
    Styrofoam and bubble wrap are for shock absorption and insulation.
    But the real reason for this posting. Just in case you don't know it....................
    I found out the hard way. If you have any reason at all to suspect a stress line do not ship it by air. The cargo section is not pressurized and can break apart any glass having one.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I guess once a crack in something like the platform of a cake stand reaches a certain size, then the weight of the separating piece is enough to aggravate the situation.

When you cut glass, of course you don't cut it, you scratch it, and then provide stress that causes the glass to crack along the scratch. I suppose a heavy enough utensil mark might provide a sufficient scratch, but it's difficult to imagine a pound cake supplying sufficient stress, even if it was all heaped off to one side.

13. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

I dont know if its extremely stupid, but had it happened to me to such a precious thing, I would try kinesi taping it(the crack) from both sides, hoping that it doesnt explode ...

14. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Wow, I now have to reconsider the blame I placed kids for mysterious glass damage.

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

TallCakes, sorry for this... it's a lovely piece and would make me sad if it were mine.

A year or so ago I picked up an EAPG daisy and button bowl and it broke in two right along the internal edges of the pattern in the glass, as though they were puzzle pieces. It had been sitting at room temperature for a long time, so I didn't have a clue what made it break.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted