Featured Most amazing freebie ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jun 17, 2024.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1600 Euros in the effin DUMPSTER? Thank goodness he had no clue.

BettyRubble likes this.
  2. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

I bought a bunch of things from a small antique store. As I was walking out of the shop I passed a section full of toys. On one of the shelves I saw stacks of paper in bundles. I immediately recognized them as WW2 Japanese occupational currency. They were still wrapped in stack of 100 notes. I asked the cashier how much they wanted for the pile. He responded, "Oh that monopoly money? Just take it." I walked out with about 972 uncirculated notes. Below is a stock photo grabbed from the web of what they look like. [​IMG]

mirana, RachelW, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

DING! DING DING DING! Monopoly money huh. It's not worth a pile, but I wouldn't walk past it either.

Potteryplease and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

Can't beat free, right? I did find 1 error note in the stack. The red lettering is noticeably offset by about 1/2 of inch and overlaying the words and outside boarder. I never found another like it online, but figure it has to be worth something more than the common notes. With how many they printed I thought the error would be easy to find online.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not exactly a freebie but the scouts were running a tombola at my car boot sale. I bought five quids worth of tickets and won six prizes, including a half bottle of Taittinger champagne. Well chuffed.

mirana, bercrystal, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

Also well-quaffed!

Ownedbybear likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I went to an on line auction pick up a few years ago. The Couple was selling their home and contents to buy a Motor Coach and hit the road. The lady decorated in country french style. Another bidder won some of that popular black and white checkerboard pottery but her lot also came with a pair of Villeroy French Garden salt/pepper shakers. She hollers out (right next to me), Does anyone want these? I said yes I wanted them because I have the dishes. She wouldn't take any money for them. I was just going to add them to my dishes until I saw what they were worth on ebay. I got $120 for the pair. Couldn't share the money, I had no idea Who gave them to me. In addition I won some great items from that sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted