Most amazing freebie ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The pics of Buzz are great! And great story of how you got the money that was partly used to get him, @daveydempsey !

I can't think of any big freebies. To keep on the cash theme, when I was maybe about 13-14 years old I was walking past a local small factory and saw a cigarette pack on the ground. Appeared to be recently dropped. I've never smoked, but picked it up and found a $10 bill folded up inside the cellophane! That seemed like a large amount of money then, at that age.

And once about 10-15 years ago I wanted to buy a small world globe at a garage sale. The seller had promised it to somebody else who was supposed to come back. She took my number anyway. The person never came back. The seller was so miffed at that, she decided to give me the globe for free. Not worth much (it dates from 1970s), but it makes nice decor.

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Years ago in my early 30's I answered an Ad in a local paper to take a look at a trundle bed and some antiques (no specifics). I was interested in the antiques. I made an appt with an elderly gentleman for five days later by landline (the cell phone and internet were not common yet). When I called to confirm appt the phone was answered with a ruckus and faint call for help. Concerned, I raced over, knocked on the door and only heard faint calls. I went to neighbors house for them to call 911. At out fear the neighbor would not answer the door (as it was a senior community). Not sure the neighbor would call 911, I went home about 5 mins way to call 911, by the time I returned the ambulance had arrived and the neighbor was giving them his info. I said a prayer..and went home. About a month later a get a call from his daughter (she got my number from the responders), that my actions saved his life, he had fallen about 24 hours before and yanked on the phone cord to answer the phone.. and he was living with her now and to come over and shop the estate. I did, when I went to pay she insisted it was all a gift for saving her dad. Nothing was priced and I was on a budget, so I only picked two pieces of early Rookwood, several really interesting pieces of bakelite jewelry- one was a compass pin and hand stitched quilt and few other things I don't remember.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 6:23 PM
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's pretty amazing...!!

johnnycb09, trip98 and Marote like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a true antiquer in action, in the days before cell phones, and a human any old time.

Potteryplease, johnnycb09 and Marote like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I had a neighbor who collects ceramic flower frogs. I was at a flea market and found a Roseville Donatello one, I took a photo and texted it to her, she asked me to pick it up for her.

Fast forward 2 years, they sold their house and were having a sale. The flower frog was there so I grabbed it. She wouldn't let me pay for it. It now lives in a low Donatello bowl I have :)

IMG_3455.jpg

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Great stories!

I've gotten some prizes for peanuts, but nothing that was actually free.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Your lovely bottles triggered me ! Last week my mother was in her bathroom and the cabinet fell off the wall and missed her by mere inches (thank God) but everything in it and on it hit the tile floor. You ever try to clean up lamp oil off a tile floor ? its HELL ! Along with that wretched oil lamp went all her perfume bottles that I found along the years.Ive shown many on here. Some rather nice ones too. Not one survived .She cried and cried but I told her to fear not,I will build her another collection. But seeing them all shattered was rather sad . :(

Figtree3, kentworld and komokwa like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Oh Johnny that is horrible!! I started to click the like button but couldn't bring myself to click on it because if it were me I would be inconsolable. :arghh::arghh::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

9. komokwa

ya...my 'like' is just for posting the story......but I too feel sad !!

johnnycb09 and Marote like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its been an interesting time with dear mother. 2 falls in the past month ,1 of wich ended in the ER for hours. No broken bones or damage other than the skin tears. When it rains it pours ! Fear not,Trapper John is on the case ! I am what one could term 'medically paranoid' so I over do all care !

Figtree3, Marote, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  11. komokwa

12. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

It's out in another thread on this site, but I have an MCM lamp that belonged to my godmother and I was allowed to pick when she passed. I've had it for 40 years.

I've never seen another one like it in person, only online in pics.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ditto

johnnycb09, Marote and komokwa like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Interesting is one word for it. Glad she's OK! (but don't tell Bercrystal about all the bottles. :) )

pearlsnblume, Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, how sad! For both of you. I keep thinking of your mother. I hope her colleection will build again!

Draft saved Draft deleted