Most amazing freebie ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Not a real freebie, as we had to buy a house before being able to find it in the stuff the seller left behind... but amongst the unwanted stuff, I found a Omega Seamaster.
    And just now, I found out that a screw back lapel pin that was also left behind, is actually 14ct gold :smuggrin:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

He did have a large proportion of the cash in the bank.
    I found slips were he'd drawn out £2k per week in £50's

I think some of the rest maybe came from a place that was only a stones throw from his home.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 180246.png

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

then that could have been , his fun money ....

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

£2k of those £50's went on buying this little fella :D

20211204_145908-horz.jpg

Then he grew and grew.

20230129_133246.jpg

20240514_003533.jpg

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful dog !

pearlsnblume, Marote and daveydempsey like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Davey, IMHO wins hands down.
    With that money, I would do my happy dance for sure.

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I found a $20 bill once while beachcombing.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

...& he was worth every penny of that money!!! :happy::happy::happy:

I remember when you originally posted this one & we were again astounded at your find just as we are often agog at what the families leave behind after they take what they wanted. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::D:D

9. pearlsnblume

This may not count, but I found money in a MIJ biscuit jar. But certainly no where near what Davey found. Mine was probably about $10 at the most.

Any Jewelry, Marote and komokwa like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

While this one does not come close to Davey's I was thrilled to get it on eBay a couple of years ago. I have already sold 5 of the six for more than I paid the eBay seller.
    upload_2024-6-18_15-30-29.jpeg

This is the one that is still with me. It is a c.1922 DeVilbiss atomizer. Cambridge made the bottle in their Azurite color with a black enamel design & a black glass "acorn top".
    upload_2024-6-18_15-42-55.jpeg

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think Davey wins. Or Buzz did, since he will eat through the rest of the dosh in short order. Literally. The dog looks like he eats like a football team!

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Ooh, ooh! I remember something from when I was a kid. Maybe way back in 1963/64. I was at my grandmother's house and in a pokey part of the basement I found one of her old handbags. I asked her if I could play with it and she said yes, so I started rummaging around in it and found $20. I waved it around and yelled, "Finders keepers!" I was permitted to keep the bag, but not the $20 which was a fair bit of money back then. (My grandmother was known for stuffing money in the toes of her shoes and then surprising herself when she discovered it later.:hilarious:)

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Found a stash of gold teeth in a 50 cent garage sale pot once. Seem to have a penchant for finding money when out and about. Most I found and kept was a $100.00 bill. Found a wallet with over $300.00 but was able to return it. Have picked up quite a few roadside finds through the years..... Mostly furniture and artwork. Probably nothing worth more than a couple hundred dollars.

kentworld, Marote and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to find a free hundred by the side of the road! I've found a gold tooth here and there in an old jewelry box, but I paid for the box.

Marote and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. pearlsnblume

I just remembered one time I went to an estate sale and was starting to pay for my stuff when I noticed a 100 dollar bill someone left behind when paying.
    I gave it back to th estate sale runners.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:happy::kiss:

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I was at a house call looking at gold jewelry. Most of it was pretty modern and not my thing but I did find a few older pieces. In the "not for me" pile was a honkin' huge gold ring with peridot, topaz and a diamond. When I saw it I told her it looked like something my sister would go for, she likes big and bold.

When I made my offer the wife's face went blank, she was floored at what I offered. I told her it was gold, quite valuable and if she brought what I didn't want to a scrapper I recommended, she would be very, very surprised ;)

She grabbed the honkin' huge ring, dropped it in my pile and said I should give it to my sister. The thing is 17g of 14k gold, at today's price that is $750!

18. bosko69

A good deed rewarded-what a generous heartfelt reply from that lady !

PS-You mentioned a 'gold jewelry housecall',do you mean someone invited you over to appraise/buy their jewelry ? Did you have an ad for vintage jewelry ?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024 at 11:31 AM
    Marote and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I am a member of the local Antique Dealers Association, they were referred to me by another dealer. I went to look at what they had for sale. I don't do appraisals but if I did I wouldn't buy from them. I feel buying and appraising needs to be separate.

20. bosko69

Well said Marie,and what an amazing meeting.

Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted