Mosque Tray Calligraphy

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by springfld.arsenal, Jan 2, 2016.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hummmm.....what's the upside to the risk of being taken as offensive ??

The way I see it, if the Imam and a few other guys gather around to see what you've got.....and for whatever reason they think you're offending their religion ....

YOU'RE TOAST !!

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

For anyone looking for a good mental challenge, I'm posting all 6 calligraphy modules here in fairly clear, numbered photos. The numbers increase counterclockwise around the tray/tabletop, consistent with Arabic which one reads from right to left. I still plan to visit a mosque soon but here's an unique puzzle for you to figure out. I'd like to know the Quran's chapter and verse(s) where this text is located. TIA.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. komokwa

It's greek to me !!

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

I visited a small, very local mosque today, took my shoes off, and walked into the male prayer room and asked some of the nice folks there if they could help me. They tried but had trouble with the very old form of Arabic and the calligraphy. They referred me to a large mosque about 1/2 hr away where there were "Mideast people and they will know how to read it."

Sure enough I walked into the big, attractive white marble structure and was referred to the Imam's office where people started trying to read it, following the calligraphy with their fingers and sounding out the letters. The Imam himself came by and corrected some things they had written, then turned all of the calligraphy into modern Arabic, then translated that into English. I tried to make a donation but they refused, saying they would be happy if I simply passed along what was written on the tray, which I am doing here. Thanks to the Imam, Sheikh Shaker Elsayed, and the administrator, Youssef, of Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center, Falls Church, VA. Please be polite, I am sending them the link to this thread.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cool. Glad to know you finally tracked it down.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. komokwa

Allah Akbar

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Amazing! Glad you found some nice people to help.
    Good work!

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is cute! How'd it end up in your pics on page one? LOL! Does it work?

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

Hmmm-a photo numbering issue it appears. I'll do another thread on that one soon. I don't think it was made to shoot, but maybe an inventor's model .

scoutshouse and lauragarnet like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's good to see the translations!

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've never known a mosque or imam be anything other than courteous and helpful. I suspect your neighbours were quite fascinated by it, too, bless their kind hearts.

12. Bui Nguyen Banh

Bui Nguyen Banh New Member

Hi All,
    I have the same tray, i think it is antique. I bought it at a an ancient mosque village in shahara desert in Algeria. i don't know Koran also, i think you like it.
    upload_2016-6-7_14-47-51.png

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, the last of spring's pictures showing is a cannon because????????????????????

Fid and scoutshouse like this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

Was posting tray photos by advancing the image number by one each time, but did it once too often and got an unrelated photo which was next in files. I think I did another thread on that Japanese cannon model, which I didn't know was Japanese till someone on a disc. Board showed me proof.

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. CBri

CBri Member

Tape paper over it and use a pencil on the top of the paper or a charcoal sketch pencil to make a rubbing of the design. It will likely be easier to read off the paper for someone else and you won't need to take the tray with you.

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

What does the back look like? Diameter is what, about 150mm? If u want antique trays, don't buy more like that one, I think it is quite young. The technique is not present on other antique trays.

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Well, that is extremely beautiful scripture, if that's what it's called. Thanks for sharing, @springfld.arsenal

i need help likes this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

Tray posted by BNB- that style is most often called Cairoware. Wish he’d tell us the size.

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it really doesn't matter what it says. principal problem with Islam is, that they're not allowed to use living creatures as subjects for art and adornment - in a stricter or more tolerant way. which makes the use of Quran verse in a stylized caligraphic script - that can't be read even by their most holy men - the next best idea.
    the more you go to the east the more it gets tolerant in those respects; in Persia you see flowers, deers etc.; that's also the case in Mughal style.
    another thing is the base. the diameter often corresponds to camel saddles, because they only took the metal plate with them. the wooden bases are much later and for indoor use.