Monarchic Falconry? Hunting Scene; Repousse Copper

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Nov 12, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I think you're right, komokwa.

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've been know to be..........from time to time ..:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::hilarious:

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

1E426DE1-68B5-4F3C-BF0B-644AB8006CE3_1_201_a.jpeg CB6E08E0-DB99-4889-AE9E-0A8386DB4863_1_201_a.jpeg

From these better-lit, front & back pics it's obvious the 'initials' I thought I saw are, in fact, an even-barred cross.

I have spent some time looking for an artist's mark anywhere on the piece...without success.

I'm about done with the thing, for awhile anyway. I'll accept the observation that it's MCM...though I really want to believe it is older.

In the event I can add something pertinent to this thread, I certainly will. Thank you, all, for helpful comments!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've been known to be wrong too !!!!

you've just proved the value...the worth...of good clear photo's....

she's also licking her lips ...!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree that it looks MCM but, as stated earlier, the inspiration is medieval. Two other women who come to my mind are the Empress Theodora (c500-548), and the Empress Matilda (Maud) (1102-1167). Matilda was English, and this doesn't strike me as English.

wlwhittier likes this.