Featured Miniature Painting - How old?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mat, May 22, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you bluemoon, I have seen those too, but I do not think they are related. The first example you link to has nice detail, but is actually a print. The others are oil paintings ( normal ones, not reverse glass paintings) and are much more carelessly done in my opinion. Also my painting shows signs of age in contrast to these, I think...

KingofThings and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Bluemoon - I'm not sure why you're mentioning oval landscapes from the 60s and 70s - It's true that tourist and decorator genre landscapes can sell for very little, but these examples don't compare well to the age and quality of Mat's original :)

The etsy piece is a very commercial frame and print so not a good comparison
    The first eBay painting is not as well executed, and in a wood frame
    The second eBay painting is very crude, not a miniature and wood frame

KingofThings and Mat like this.
  4. scoutshouse

The punched metal ornamentation on the frame - when did that kind of fabrication begin?

KingofThings, Mat and bluemoon like this.
  5. scoutshouse

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I am sure there are collectors for those! I know that on a more industrial scale this technique was used in Germany from the early 19th c on for silverwares. It was brought there from France where it was introduced even earlier. I think it was used not only for silver...

KingofThings and scoutshouse like this.
  7. scoutshouse

It was/is a expensive process, so probably would've been used for mass production just to recoup the cost. But lots of wonderful things were mass-produced - beginning whenever there was enough of a market for wonderful things!

Grand Tours of the late 1800s, is what I'm thinking...

8. scoutshouse

Probably from same era - a topic from 18c (pirates or bandits) in Romantic Style....

Banditti Full.jpeg Banditti_LR_Test-2.jpg

9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

10. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

looks like caso mecca to me ,did a search and came up with nothing sorry

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you lloyd 249 for searching!
    I now think my painting was likely done in France, this is where I found the most pieces comparable in quality and theme, so maybe the architecture was inspired by the French alps... The style seems to be similar to what I have seen dated as Napoleon III pieces, so mid 19th c would be right....

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  12. scoutshouse

I misspoke about the The Grand Tour, which was a very effete custom of travel between the 16th and 18th centuries.

I just meant when middle class tourism and the industrial revolution met c 1850 on... :)

13. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Update: I learned something about the painting technique of this piece. Actually the painting was done on the piece of fabric and then glued to the glass cover instead of painting directly on the glass. So it is not the usual reverse glass painting. This technique is called "peinture éludorique" in French and was invented by Arnaud Vincent de Montpetit (1713-1800). It was used for miniature paintings up to the middle of the 19th century.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Mat!

KingofThings, Mat and lloyd249 like this.
  15. scoutshouse

Zat ees tres cool, Mat!

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting -- thank you!

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Could it be Cyrillic?

18. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I really have no idea, I do not think so, but maybe some of the members can read Cyrillic? It is not Greek for sure... Maybe it is some abbreviation that made sense only to the one who applied it to the frame...

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't think it's Cyrillic... at least, I've never seen some of those letters in Cyrillic.

20. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you,Figtree3, good to know!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted