Featured Mid to early 2Oth century oil painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by kevdn1, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the internet...

"Anco Bilt is a company that made canvases and stretcher bars for artists, in business since 1904.

Anco Bilt canvases were the lower quality canvases and stretchers sold in art stores to mostly hobby artists, where the professional artist would stretch their own canvas or buy one of the better names with a higher quality."

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wonder if these both aren't copies?

Debora

aaroncab, komokwa and blooey like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Might be Polperro Harbor.

Debora

polperro_harbour_cornwall_england_.jpg

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

That's what I'm thinking too.

Debora likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A very nice painting, I like it better than the Etsy one.
    The houses are not German. And those pale blue shutters aren't English, or even Scottish or Irish. They look French, but I can't think of a French fishing village in a similar setting with steep cliffs.

Charming painting of Polperro, Debora. Polperro does have cliffs and white houses with pale blue doors, but no shutters. The cliffs are overgrown, not bare like the ones in the painting:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I also like the painting in the original post better than the one on etsy. As usual, @Debora has done a good job of analysis.

Debora and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the little town where "Doc Martin" is filmed. ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

That is set in Wales, but filmed in Port Isaac, Cornwall, UK. But again, no pale blue shutters.:(

[​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Clever clue re shutters. St. Mawes does have some but knowing nothing about its geography.

Debora

images.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Debora like this.
  11. kevdn1

kevdn1 New Member

Thanks for everyone’s help. I looked up the boat register for FY (on the side of the sailboat). It is Fowey England which is in Cornwall. That looks like it must be correct. Hopefully I can help solve someone else’s mystery soon.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. kevdn1

kevdn1 New Member

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wow! What great eyes were on this. It really does take a village. (In this case, Fowey, Cornwall.)

Debora

Bakersgma and Houseful like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Great eyesight, I tried but couldn't read it, thought it was just a blur. Fowey is usually pronounced Foy, a bit easier.;)

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think those marks are upside down. Looks like a #2 and some other things. 458F473C-CE2C-4654-A596-873B0BEFF3A3.jpg

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

If two people painted this image, there's probably an original someplace by a famous artist.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's what I'd think too.

Debora

18. kevdn1

kevdn1 New Member

Yes I thought so also. There is only these on google image search but maybe one is the original or there is another painting out there. ES is the signature initials. The Etsy one looks newer and by I think a ok but not professional painter. I saw the Anco frames were common during the wars due to shortages in Europe.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Looking at the lettering on that frame - it looks like part of the writing is cut off on the left, but on the right looks like 1 x 4 which seems like the dimensions of the wood so it may just be writing from the lumber yard.

Draft saved Draft deleted