Mid-century painting, help with name?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeff Drum, Oct 3, 2020.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I recognise her signature on your painting. I should have photos somewhere of some other paintings. I will post them as soon as I find them and tell you more about her history. Sadly she did pass away a few years ago and the obituary link someone has posted is of Hilda.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for confirming, Tina!
    And Welcome to the Forum!
    It’s always so nice to hear from people with a personal connection to the artists. It sounds like she was a wonderful person! :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  2. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

I have found some old photos of some of her paintings on my backup drive. Quality not great as it's from 2000. I'll upload in a few days and tell you more about this wonderful woman. It's Summer holidays over here so I'm busy with a grumpy teenager and an 8yr old!

I will also upload photos of Hilda. In 2013, my husband and I finally got to introduce our 2 daughters to Hilda. My older daughter had seen Hilda's photo on our fridge since she was little

To answer your question about her name & signature on her paintings, the accent mark (/) on the 'e' is Hilda's way of helping you to pronounce her name! If you know some French, that will help. She spoke Italian, French (most fluent), English & some very basic Arabic words or sentences. Hilda had a habit of mixing her words from the various languages but mainly French with English. Even when she left me notes, write a shopping list or on birthday cards etc she would add French accent marks without realising!

The first painting you have, if it's not a portrait of a client in Boston, it could also be of a bedouin (nomadic person) in Egypt
    which was my guess as soon as I saw it. In Egypt, Hilda loved swimming in the sea and spending time by the sea painting.

Stay tuned...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Tina! I am looking forward to your posts of more paintings and more information about your friend the artist. Do you have some of her paintings yourself?

4. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

Hilda Painting - Mother & Child.JPG Hi Jeff. No, sadly I do not own any of Hilda's paintings. I had taken photos of a few paintings and sketches she still owned at her home. Hilda wanted me to turn them into photo magnets for her to put on her fridge.

The painting she had called Mother & Child was one of her favourites. If you zoom in closer you can see a photo of Hilda in her younger years.

I don't recall the story behind this painting. I don't believe it was of anyone she knew personally.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

Hilda Painting - .JPG The next painting I recall was Egypt. Hilda told me stories of her love for swimming and diving for sea urchins in the sea. She was very adventurous even when I knew her. Quite fearless really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
  6. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

Portrait of brother, Mario.jpg A computer virus killed alot of photos from my time in Boston & Quincy. So the only other photo of Hilda's work I still have is a portrait of her younger brother Mario who lives in France.

7. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

Here is a photo of Hilda in 2001 at my place. I lived in the apartment above her. She was a very affectionate person!

Attached Files:

8. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

In 2013, my husband and I wanted to visit my relatives in the US. Of course, we set aside a few days to spend with Hilda. We had meals at her favourite restaurants & visited her all time favourite place, Blue Hill in Braintree. We rented a motel nearby so that we were close to 1000 Southern Artery where Hilda had moved to. It was an old people's home.

I recall about 5min after leaving Hilda's place one evening, getting a frantic call on my mobile. She was having issues with her TV. My husband and I couldn't help but laugh to ourselves. It felt just like old times... Hilda calling us down to her apartment to look at or fix something.

My last memory of her was on our last day together. She was sitting on her walking frame on the lawn outside her place waving goodbye to us. We knew it would be the last time we'd see each other. Our last hug seemed to last forever.

It was a costly trip taking us some time to save up for. A long trip too with my younger daughter only 18 months and with Boston and Sydney at opposite ends of the earth. It was unlikely we could afford to do it again anytime soon.

I continued to send photos and make photobooks of our family for her. We continued to keep in touch until her death. Hilda is now buried in her "Happy Place" Blue Hill.

9. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

Hilda had helped me through 4 miscarriages when I lived in Quincy. Our family were all back in Sydney then so Hilda's support meant the world to me. We were so happy for her to finally meet our 2 beautiful girls. She'd only seen photos of them since they were born.

This photo of Hilda was taken at Blue Hills in 2013 with my girls and I.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  10. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

My husband and I lived in Boston & Quincy from 1999 - 2002. I met Hilda at our local Roche Bros and she recognised me as a new neighbour. We became friends and stayed in close contact until her death.

I'd like to share my memories of Hilda with you and tell you what I know about the life of this incredible woman

Hilda's family was Italian but her family escaped to Egypt I think because of Mussolini. She was widowed at a very young, only a few years after marrying. Hilda never remarried and had no children.

Hilda has 2 brothers. They both left Egypt, the older one making England his new home.
    Her younger brother Mario ended up in France. Hilda was left to look after their parents. Eventually she left for the US. I assume after her parents' death although I don't recall being told much about them.

She lived in Brookline for many years after arriving in the US & did many paintings & portraits to make a living in the early years. Her favourites were those of young children as she had yearned to have her own. She spoke about the joy it gave her to create something for families to cherish. Unfortunately, some well-to-do families did not pay the full agreed price once the paintings were finished. Some families ordered several paintings but would refuse payment on one. Hilda would then try to resell the painting hoping that someone would pay enough to cover the cost of the canvas and paint. Hilda didn't dare argue as she hoped that the families would recommend her to their friends.

More to come...

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Unfortunately, some well-to-do families did not pay the full agreed price once the paintings were finished. Some families ordered several paintings but would refuse payment on one.

that's disgusting.....i hope the paintings remind them of their greed !!!

( or...burst into flames....)

Draft saved Draft deleted