Featured MEDIEVAL ENGLISH CHURCH CHEST?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by chris klausen, Aug 26, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well...... cedar would be lighter than the weight u say the chest carries.... imo
    & looking at the large gash and craters where the hinges are leads me to believe that those hinges were later additions to just hold the lid in place.... replacing the original hinges meant to support opening the lid.

( which were insufficient for the lids weight and eventually tore off !! ) imho.....

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

This comment no doubt shows my appalling ignorance of the subject, but that octagonal box looks like it’s from the 1970s with 17th-century hardware.

I say that because of the marquetry, which is in amazingly good condition, and because it resembles 1970s work on tourist trinket boxes I’ve seen from those years.

808 raver and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

Owww, them's fighting words......:eek::eek:

look out .....here comes 808 !!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:.........:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

808 raver and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. chris klausen

chris klausen Active Member

The only chests I see with the rooster motif seem to be Spanish. I believe the snipe hinges on my chest are original. There's no evidence or outlines of Strap hinges. Snipe hinges were the earliest hinges and correspond with supposed date of the chest.

pewter2 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you show us an example?

Debora

7. chris klausen

Both sides had double sets of snipe hinges for a total of 4 hinges. Both sides only have remnants of one hinge so the gouges are from the missing snipe hinges.

8. chris klausen

Here's 2 Spanish chests from the period with roosters and 1 with other motifs similar to mine. IMG_2779.jpg IMG_2794.jpg IMG_2795.jpg

9. chris klausen

Here's one with my grapes! IMG_2796.jpg

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

[​IMG]

well then...let's dig.
    Yours may well be Spanish , but I find it lacks the balance & symmetry of the ones you've shown.
    [​IMG]

also , where's the bottom row of beautiful carvings..?

Potteryplease likes this.
  12. komokwa

they may be original....... photo's can be misleading....:sour:

13. chris klausen

14. chris klausen

I think that the examples I posted were probably made in urban fine furniture workshops. Mine looks more rural.

komokwa likes this.
  15. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

What's wrong with 1970's boxes? lol
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/unicorn-mother-mary-antique-coca-tea-169076633
    )

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  16. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

To me it looks like maybe something done by trainee Carvers learning their trade,its such a mis-match of work.,the only section with any sort of a pattern is the centre panel,and also that it seems likely that the carver that carved the spiral and trellis work was more experienced than the carver who carved the [chicken,jug and chalice] which seem very crude work and not in proportion, compared to the spirals and trellis work,possibly a practice piece.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    Sedona likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted