Featured MEDIEVAL ENGLISH CHURCH CHEST?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by chris klausen, Aug 26, 2024.

1. chris klausen

chris klausen Active Member

I always disagreed with the "expert". It looks like Oak to me and I'm 99% sure it's Spanish.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So Spanish, walnut, and dating from 1600-1640? According to your English furniture expert?

Debora

3. chris klausen

Yes but I did more research which seems to confirm Bob Raver's comments yesterday on this thread. Spanish and 1400-1550. If possible I'd love tonarrow down the time frame a bit.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And why is it given that attribution? Wood? Motifs? Construction?

Debora

5. chris klausen

If you read Page 2 of this thread it is gone on to in detail.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I did read Page 2. While I accept "I think Spain or Portugal" a well-educated supposition from a knowledgable fellow member, it would be helpful if we could support that with additional information such as... Is it made of a wood commonly used on the Iberian Peninsula? Are the motifs typical of the Iberian Peninsula? Is the construction typical of there?

Debora

808 raver and Potteryplease like this.
  7. chris klausen

I sent pictures to 2 of the biggest Museums in Spain with antique furniture collections. I'll post their replies. Thanks

komokwa likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Which Spanish museums did you submit photographs to?

Debora

9. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

The reason I said Spanish was by the lock and hinges, the carving ruled out church carving, if it were it would have been far finer and of a ecclesiastical design. I don't know what wood it is but I have a box of Spanish make (although made in S America) that has the same colour wood with the same type clasp lock and the exact same hinges 119666503_781685915999717_4232950021590850682_n.jpg 119783407_781686662666309_4737871992240564437_n.jpg 119724340_781686452666330_6943703967801979118_n.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you. How kind of you to amplify. So the box is Colonial Spanish?

Debora

808 raver likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The style of lock (hinged from the top, with a projection that engages with the adjacent key) is referred to as a "drop fork lock", and examples can be found on medieval chests from various countries -
    upload_2024-8-30_8-55-29.png

From Sweden -
    upload_2024-8-30_9-8-27.png
    Ironbound wooden money chest with drop fork lock for turning key and adapted for two padlocks. Rogslösa church, Östergötland. Photo by the author.
    https://www.historicallocks.com/en/site/h/safes/20-money-chests/medieval-sweden/

This one on a chest at Corpus Christi College in Cambridge, England -
    upload_2024-8-30_8-59-24.png
    https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news...d-the-moonwort-fern-a-medieval-mystery-solved

Figtree3 and 808 raver like this.
  12. chris klausen

Thanks Bob for all your insight I appreciate the time you're taking. That's interesting about the lock. I have many English coffers and document boxes with those snipe hinges and they were the earliest hinges I know of. Even though this lid had 4 snipe hinges I'm surprised they weren't replaced with strap hinges as they had nohope of supporting this heavy lid for very long. I know you said 1400- 1550 which is great. If you had to guess and I won't hold you to it what date in that range would you give? Thanks!

808 raver likes this.
  13. 808 raver

14. 808 raver

Yeah I agree, I did say it might be the wrong country, there were other reasons, if it were English it would be made of oak and it doesn't look like oak to me. Also the lack of strap work, I'm not entirely sure about anything on this chest, if I were seeing in person I might be a little more informed and I'm very happy for members to set me right.

2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

indeed, while those hinges support 808's lid nicely ....even 4 would seem a design flaw in trying to support your massive lid.!!

Do you have a pic of the back of the box.....or did I miss that?

16. 808 raver

Lol it's not Bob, it's 808, anyway with antiques you get a feel but this can always be wrong, I would expect to see strap hinges and more metal work if it were UK/French/Dutch/German. If I owned it I would spend the next week or years looking it up to the point I'm happy with date and origin, I have antiques that took over 5 years of research to pin down and that's with asking every expert I could find. Good luck

17. chris klausen

Lol! Ok 808 my eyes are going! I love doing research so I'll keep everyone posted. I believe it's Spanish because of the Rooster especially. As far as date goes that's harder. Thanks

Ghopper1924 and 808 raver like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Spain has wine and cups too..:playful:
    I thought the rooster would be more...Portugal..?

19. chris klausen

Here's some pics of the back, hinges, and the way the panels are put together IMG_2791.jpg IMG_2793.jpg IMG_2789.jpg IMG_2790.jpg IMG_2791.jpg IMG_2793.jpg IMG_2789.jpg IMG_2790.jpg

20. 808 raver

No doubt that's a chalice and Portugal might be were it comes from.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted