Featured Mahogany antique weight and height scales c1831-1860

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, May 8, 2017.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

The flints are bigger than a large potato, I live very close to chalk cliffs that have the flints in, the flints also litter the beach so I assume they used local material.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Bless Wikipedia. Occasionally, it makes me giggle. To wit: flint can contain "spicules of salicious (sic) sponges."

Can't wait to drop that one into a cocktail party conversation!

3. 808 raver

judy, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Re the use thereof: one builds with what is available. Much as I admire the marble halls of Greece, Pennsylvania fieldstone is my all-time first.

(I am the only person I know who took a geology course because I thought it was fascinating!)

judy and 808 raver like this.
  5. 808 raver

I find geology interesting as well, I often ask my 7 year old son igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic, when we pick up stones off the beach

NanaB, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

See, that's what we miss here in The Netherlands, mostly delta land. Where I live you can only ask if it is sand, sand or sand. There is even a song about our area titled 'Land van zand' - Land of Sand (Dutch is easy, isn't it;)).

judy, 808 raver and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just watched a video on Grimes Graves......fascinating......but lasted too long!!!!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Great scale......great wall......great thread.......as usual...all yous guys...rock !:happy::happy:

9. 808 raver

Sand can be very interesting if you have a microscope, a good excuse to buy one of these, (that's the microscope in the middle)

Attached Files:

judy, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I love the scales!

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi 808 raver,
    The mahogany is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    greg

Aquitaine, judy and 808 raver like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Okay the scale is wonderful as is the microscope but that piece of furniture the microscope is setting on is absolutely stunning. :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Welcome to our forum & please excuse our inability to focus. There are several folks here who have a very frequent case of ADD. ;):p:D:D:D

I can not & would not, speak for springfld.arsenal, but I am 99.9999% certain he was just being a smartass about weighing the cannonballs. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. 808 raver

Thank you, the sideboard has been in the family ever since it was made, it was given as a wedding present to my great great great Arnity (I think that's the right amounts of greats) around 1860. I now get the joke ie springfld, lol

judy likes this.
  14. 808 raver

Thanks Greg, it must have been one of the easiest restorations I have ever done, well all apart from the brass :(

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The grain is deep enough and lucious enough to dive into. Cleaning brass near wood is painstaking. I applaud you for your work!
    greg

16. 808 raver

I took all the brass of the wood to clean it, I had to strip of what was left of the lacquer (not much) with meths, unfortunately I re-french polished the wood before doing the brass :( so I had to remove the brass or the meths would have affected the new polish. It doesn't look like it's been freshly polished because I went over the new polish with wire wool to antique it, then I gave it a coat of wax, that process gives it a new lease of life without making it look like it was made yesterday.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. 808 raver

Before restoration AUGUST 247 (Medium).jpg

judy likes this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

[QUOTE="bercrystal, post: 238282...
    I can not & would not, speak for springfld.arsenal, but I am 99.9999% certain he was just being a smartass about weighing the cannonballs. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes I just wanted to weigh in on the scale discussion somehow and that popped into my head.

19. 808 raver

Yes I just wanted to weigh in on the scale discussion somehow and that popped into my head.[/QUOTE]

lol

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And don't forget those with official ADD status, not to be sneezed at. I have been diagnosed with AD....D (sorry, attention wandered:playful:). But I always say, what's an affliction with a little stammer between friends;).
    Still love the threads you post raver, all of them, and think your restauration work shows a lot of love:). I'm sure that is something we all love to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted