Featured Little trick for improving look of a crazes/cracked opal!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kyratango, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Laura Mitchell

Laura Mitchell New Member

Thanks for correcting me. I must respectfully disagree. I am not sure if you are an expert in opal or you just pulled up some link. If you want to you can also pull up a link that says keep them in water Would I be correct in that statement?

kyratango likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. Laura Mitchell

Laura Mitchell New Member

Yes that is correct. The question now is why must mexican opal be put in water?
    Thanks for your expertise and imput.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not all Mexican/Ethiopian opal needs to stay in water,they are called hydrophane opal which include opals from a number of locations while containing a high percentage of water,are porous and the water evaporates causing the stone to dry out and loose the "flash" of colors and craze.

kyratango likes this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The hugie is now wearable after kyratisation :joyful:

So, this is really not a professional mounting! :-D

I ordered an oval 925 silver mount only convenient for the opal length.
    [​IMG]
    The side gaps were filled with polymer clay, leaving open back, opal was pressed in, then I "dressed" the sides with spare little diamonds embeded in the clay. I removed all exceeding clay and carefully removed the opal before baking in oven at 110°C for 15 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    Once cold, the opal was replaced and secured with superglue applied with a toothpick at back.

An antique paste removable spare bail from my "in case of" box was added and the hugie is now hanging from a rubber necklace at my neck :)
    [​IMG]

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted