Listing better art...higher start price, low start, or BIN?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Salvatorparadise, Jan 22, 2015.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sometimes I wonder if I have more boxes and wrap.....than I do things to put in them ???
    :wideyed::banghead:

spirit-of-shiloh and cxgirl like this.
  2. Salvatorparadise

Salvatorparadise Active Member

i made a lot on some and lost a lot on some others...i am really new to art so just testing the waters. breaking even in the end. Paid $30 for that chinese worker piece and it did $461. I send all pieces like this to the UPS store for packing...

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. komokwa

Doesn't UPS kinda dig into your profits ?

4. Salvatorparadise

i have a couple more pieces from this load so I'll come out a little ahead of break even...i allow myself these unprofitable forays as I begin to learn a new area...it just takes time! I am happy overall. I drew some conclusions on my buying and on results that I think can help me in the future

5. Salvatorparadise

as for UPS I charged kind of a lot for shipping to cover packing. I do a very large amount of business with my local UPS store and have a good relationship with the owner. He charges only for materials and gives me a good price so I can afford to do this!

6. komokwa

Well that's good !
    At least you don't have a room full of boxes like I do...
    Then again....no one packs like I do ! :vamp:

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

That is great. I thought your prices on shipping pretty reasonable considering that you were going to have UPS do the packing and shipping. The only time I got a quote from them, it was going to be over $100.00 to send a fairly large painting to CA. Shipping cost is such an issue for buyers that I have decided to do it myself and build it in to profit margins. I know this sometimes works to my detriment with starting prices but I don't have to sell these things. I would rather do it this way than have to gamble on profit margins and deplete inventory in the process.

8. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

I loved, loved the Chinese piece. That would have been a keeper for me but right now, no room for keepers. What I did buy, very pleased and I just hope Adrian made at least a few bucks. Thanks to the board without which I never would have looked!

Draft saved Draft deleted