Let's play a game. Almost Every estate sale I've ever been to has....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moontymes, Oct 14, 2014.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My mother went through that phase,Ive got her whittled down to about 20 from 200 or so ! Every thrift store is LOADED with them !

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I went to 4 sales yesterday and 3 of them had Encyclopedia Britannicas. The prices were crazy from 75 dollars to 100. I bought 9 Harry Potter books for 10 cents each. between them and a 1940's Lenox vase I spent 5 dollars.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have a friend who went to a flea market and bought a very ugly cheapo porcelain doll for $2. He was expecting me to tell him he had quite a find. I told him he didn't and he then tried to sell it to me for $2. LOL!

What else do I see? Clothing with fuzz balls on it. Old shoes that are not valuable, just old shoes. The same for old pocketbooks. The same with old lamps. Modern made-in-China Christmas decorations. Those trinkets you buy in the dollar stores that try to look like china ornaments. Went to a yard sale this summer, the lady had to have had about 100 little lighthouses. Tons of placemats and dinner napkins, not the old linen ones, white and off white with embossing, but the circa 1970s and up cotton multi-colored stuff.

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Knock off Dooney & Bourkes,cheapo jewelry boxes, and mildewd or warped record albums.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Boxes of cassette tapes. When asked why I avoid them, I honestly say I no longer have a working tape deck. Today I found some cool stereopticon pictures of the inside of a local cotton thread factory ... and someone had put a price sticker right on one of the photos. (WAHHH!) That's something I see all too often - ephemera trashed by someone with a sticker pack!

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

"That's something I see all too often - ephemera trashed by someone with a sticker pack!"

Evelynb30, you are sooooo right about that!!! :(

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Almost every estate sale I've ever been to has one of the sellers saying "Well, on ebay it goes for _________________.

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Picture frames- plastic, metal, wood, not particularly valuable, although at the last one a guy bought a whole box for $1.

10. gregsglass

Hi,
    I do not pass up junky frames. I buy them for the glass and toss the frame. The glass costs more than that.
    greg

Messilane and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Do you reuse the glass in vintage frames? Curious as to the uses.....

12. gregsglass

Hi Marko,
    Yes I reuse the glass in other frames, I use it do redo broken mirrors and use them to make modern framing using two pieces of glass and copper tape. To buy glass is getting more expensive and here it is for reuse. I cut glass occasionally but I ruin more than what I want to admit.
    greg

13. evelyb30

I've done the same thing - dollar store junk frames have perfectly reusable glass. I also have a pair of salvaged 8x10 pieces of glass that I masking taped to cover the edges. Those are my palettes for painting. They don't stain and they're easier to clean than plastic.

14. gregsglass

Hi Evelyn,
    I had a wonderful 200 year old piece of glass from Philadelphia that was an inch thick that I used for a palette. Last year it broke:bigtears:
    greg

15. evelyb30

Draft saved Draft deleted