Featured Large framed photo of a bank interior - interesting!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Looks like the bank version of Are You Being Served.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wasn't intending to post to this thread, but was reading the new messages and accidentally hit "Reply." I'm glad the photo will be featured online!

3. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Jonathan, and thanks for your update! I'm delighted the photograph has been identified and so much information can be gleaned from it.

It's a couple of years since I first started this thread and until this week I'd still been puzzling about the identity of this bank. So I caved in and removed the photo from the frame hoping to find some useful clues... but the photograph is firmly stuck to a hard piece of card, and there's no writing at all. It allowed me to scan the photo properly though, and google image search worked a minor miracle (for a change, lol). Which is how I found the 'Manchester City Office' at Martins Bank Archive :D.

More images:
    bank smaller.jpg bank cropped.jpg

Jonathan tells me it dates to the mid 1960s. And the scales were used to weigh bags of coins.

The building is now a restaurant and I might just have to pay a visit some time ;-).

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you visit, take a photo and post it on this thread so we can see the changes!

Draft saved Draft deleted