Large antique 19th century Venetian mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Henry SJ, May 2, 2023.

1. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Of course, it’s always best to get a consensus on stuff like this from people who know better first tho.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you get the mirror with its current glass, at least you will have ready oval. Maybe you can find someone to add a bevel to it. No idea what that would cost. Anywhere you take it will likely want to sell you an entirely new piece.

komokwa, Henry SJ and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We are a forum, we each give our opinion based on our experience and, if applicable, our expertise. We can agree or disagree, but we don't attempt to reach a consensus.;)

4. Any Jewelry

Something to consider is that it will give more strength to the frame while it is being shipped.
    True.

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  5. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Yes I think it’ll be tough and especially expensive in a city like London.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

I meant more of a personal consensus, but cheers for introducing me to how things work.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Thank you!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Beveling is usually done by machine these days. I have worked with straight line beveling, but given the number of odd shapes that are out there in large quantities, there must be machines to handle a curve without issue. It's finding a small business that does the work that might prove tricky. Look for people who re-silver mirror and contact them. Ask if they do beveling or know someone who does. You know the approximate size of the mirror, getting an estimate shouldn't be difficult. If it's a standard size and proportionality, there might be pieces ready made.

Henry SJ, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It looks like you are investing in antiques, but don't know much about them. That means you have to deal with more uncertainties than most of us do. That makes the decision making process more difficult.

Why not study history, styles, and the market for a while, so you can make a more informed decision. We will be here to help you, but we don't have the items in hand. And in the end you have to make a decision you feel comfortable with.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  10. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

So you think this would’ve been bevelled originally? As we purchased a mirror previously made of silver nitrate that appears to be original, could this be the same? I can show pics of the other mirror if needed, I have photos of the glass in detail. I was recommended to have it bevelled by someone but then I was told it was original by others, so it’s generally confusing for me as someone who knows little about this stuff. The mirror is actually my profile picture.

11. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

I’m attempting to learn as much as possible but finding specifics on Venetian mirrors is trickier than I expected, studying the area is what I’m attempting by using forums like this, honestly even tho you may not be able to give specifics you have all given me many recommendations which is incredibly helpful to point me in the right direction.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and verybrad like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you were used to looking at glass, you might be better able to judge. New mirror will most likely be float glass, which is extremely flat and smooth. Older mirror will probably be plate glass, which can have very subtle ripples. But you really have to know what to look for... and even then?

I think it would look good with beveled glass. For it's age, I think beveled glass was most likely, but that's not a sure thing and there's only so much you can tell from photos. If you took it to a re-silvering place, they could probably tell right away if it's float glass or plate glass. They're handling both new and old all the time.

Any Jewelry and Henry SJ like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Remember, the things that attract you are the hand carved wooden frames, not the mirror glass. If you concentrate on that specific interest, woodcarving, it will be easier.
    So maybe start by looking at it from a relevant distance, for instance Italian Baroque and Rococo woodcarving, and then slowly zoom in by using links and publications provided by informative sites.
    And remember when looking at Italian carving in general, that Venetian is usually even more refined. But starting from a distance you'll get there.
    And buy books, there is more information there.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    kyratango, Henry SJ and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Ok thank you, I admit the frame is much more important to me than the glass. Do you have any recommendations for books I can pick up? :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I'm sorry, I never delved that deeply into Venetian woodcarving. But if you start by looking up some sites, they usually list the reference books they've used for their research. That's a start.

kyratango and Henry SJ like this.
  16. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Cheers

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted