Featured Lamps and lamps, show your lamps?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by say_it_slowly, Apr 8, 2016.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

lloyd249 likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Gila: That cameo lamp looks more elaborate than mine. I saw another of those lamps that I did not buy because the carving was of a much lower quality. Maybe I should have picked it up anyhow. The one I did not buy was marked Italy, which is why I have attributed the one I did have (unmarked) to that country.
    I bought one of those mushroom lamps, new, as a Christmas gift for my sister back in the day. The one I purchased was more elaborate than either of those shown so far, but it has not survived.

*crs* That floor lamp is beautiful.
    I have a Chinese themed Aladdin lamp (at least I think of it as Chinese themed) that has the same finial as that first lamp you show. It's a family piece and has probably been around our family since new. There is an unfortunate, but honest, amount of wear to the copper luster accents.
    Finials can be important with Aladdin lamps. They are collectible in their own right.
    AladdinAlaciteLamp-a-side.jpg

say_it_slowly, *crs*, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Janette,
    That is a gorgeous lamp.
    greg

say_it_slowly and KingofThings like this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

thanks greg.....it was my aunt's...probably 1930s or 40s...Does not fit in with my décor.(so in the attic) ..and too clumsy to sell/ship on Ebay :(

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Here's a favorite lamp of mine. And yes, I know the shade in the photo is crooked (it has since been straightened :rolleyes: ). The finial echoes the design on the shade and the design is repeated on the back side of the shade. The shade looks/feels like stiff "paper" and has an almost "waxed" feel to it. I've had it for a long time and it was bought second-hand by me.

Lamp 017.jpg

Oh good grief, and now I see the dust on the lamp and the piano.:shame:

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

There are ways to do that if the buyer will pay a little extra...

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Speaking of LAMPS... ya never know.

Remember that totally FAKE cold-painted bronze parrot (I spotted that it was resin right away) I bought a while back just because I loved it (photo #2)? WELL... while browsing parrot lamps online, I discovered that it was once a lamp (see the tiny hole at the base on the left-facing view photo #1)? The #3 photo is the unaltered lamp, which is of course modern and sells for 150 bucks or so. It is an attempt at mimicking some of the antique bronze birds, which held baskets, lamps, various stuff. Photo #4 is an example.
    So much to learn about lamps!

Anyway........ whole reason I was browsing lamps was to ask:
    Can we also post some of our DESIRED lamps here? Fantasies??? I found a few!

2.jpg 1.jpg tropical-table-lamps.jpg 1930s-cast-iron-art-deco-parrot-lamp-offered-by-ruby-lane-owner-antique-beak.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, MOS!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

DSC07189.JPG i have one also

12. lloyd249

13. lloyd249

do you think this started out as a lamp ? DSC07697.JPG DSC07698.JPG DSC07699.JPG DSC07700.JPG DSC07696.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  14. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Thank you. I bought it for resale but I liked it to much :) (for some reason I never received notifications of any further post on this thread)

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Lloyd,
    Your Mexican pot is a jardiniere for planting.

16. lloyd249

thank you vb

KingofThings likes this.
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

1grla1a.jpg

Large green lamp - used it for years then sold it.

cxgirl, *crs*, KingofThings and 4 others like this.
  18. lloyd249

i'm rebuilding this one a friend gave me needs some tlc DSC07706.JPG DSC07707.JPG i rescued it from the garbage as my friend blair was chucking it , and i had been looking at it for years being neglected in the sask weather . so i asked him for it and he gladly told me to take it

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  19. lloyd249

KingofThings likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's a pretty fun lamp made from an old phone. You lift the receiver to turn on the light. It's old though so the wiring needs replacing.

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted