Just starting my collection

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gorn1120, Feb 14, 2016.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

How about this Zapper not too far from you??? >>>
    ~
    http://classiccars.com/listings/vie...aro-z28-for-sale-in-derry-new-hampshire-03038
    ~
    Please tell me more about why you are doing this. > 185forheroes.org.

2. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

I actually just looked at that page about 2 hours ago. Not the hugest fan of the orange. My first preference is a silver/black Z28. Definitely need to pay off my current car before considering another.
    ~
    One of my coworkers co-founded it (Clayton Anderson). It's been around for a little while, and I actually sang for it last year at its finish line ceremony. I'm a long-term runner. I've always wanted to push myself to do something actually challenging, yet also not a typical Marathon/Ultra/etc. As a service member and a US citizen, I thoroughly enjoy the idea of supporting veterans. Additionally, this is my one year I will be living away from my family; 2016 is my year to push my athletic prowess.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

Well! Just how ODD is that that I pick the same car! ;)
    ~
    For me, Zs are SUPPOSED to be Hugger Orange with white stripes. :)
    With all black or black & white Hounds-tooth interior though I don't see a good interior shot with this car.
    The 302 is a killer engine as well. My Nova has the 350 - 295HP which was reclassified by NHRA to 305. (Chevy tried to sneak that past) ;)
    ~
    Would yours be black with silver stripes? I think that may have been an option.
    ~
    Thank you for your service! :)
    What branch are you in?
    What is your rate?
    How long have you served?
    I assume Maryland is home.
    Where are you serving now?
    ~
    I will go donate to your cause now. :)
    Thank you for doing it. :)
    ~
    EDIT> Done! Good Luck! :)

4. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

This is what I'm aiming for: http://classiccars.com/listings/vie...t-camaro-z28-for-sale-in-cobb-wisconsin-53526
    ~
    I'm still getting into the swing of things as far as cars go. Eventually would like to take automechanics at a community/technical college, if possible. Far from knowing my engine sizes and conversions.
    ~
    USN, CT community, 5/20 years atm. Wisconsin is home, Maryland is an acceptable pit stop.
    ~
    Thank you for contributing. I happened to setup that pledge link the same day I joined antiquers. The race is in September, but $400 minimum raised & they'll cover my registration fees! :woot:

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

Ah. Very nice! I recall these.
    It may be ok to put out a request for the car on the WANTED forum. I would ask a moderator. Never know who has what or knows where there may be one.
    ~
    Actually, though '73 is somewhat different, the older cars are FAR easier to work on and parts are everywhere, even new/repro.
    ~
    Yay shipmate! HT2 here! You on a ship now? In Maryland?
    ~
    How much have you raised so far?

Gorn1120 likes this.
  6. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

Well, I'm really not trying to buy one right now, nor do I think someone plans to hold a car for 2 or more years specifically for me. At least I know what I want. Only so many are left to restore/save, though.
    ~
    I've been told most things up to the early 80s are pretty easy to work on.
    ~
    I was, but now with this rating, I am subjected to a career of desk jobs.
    ~
    As I mentioned, I just started - you are my first contributor as of today.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

Just posted 2 items I bought late last year in the Gallery.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

I see. Ok. I get that unless you can afford a garage or storage unit so you can go fiddle with her when you have $ and time. Does the base have an auto shop for use? Perhaps storage?
    ~
    As soon as cars started to have computer stuff it was over as far as I'm concerned. I know there are new systems that enhance performance, some by a great deal, but they have no interest to me. Look at Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars making as much as 10,000HP,
    ~
    Quite a rating, CT. VERY interesting. :)
    ~
    I'm FIRST???!!! YAY! I hope others here, and wherever, join in. :)
    We have other veterans here, some are closeted. ;)
    ~
    Headed your way, DC, on Wednesday. :)

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELCOME Gorn! You'll find lots of knowledgeable antiquers here, well versed in MANY subjects....lots to learn AND share, AND have some fun while at it!!!:happy:

Gorn1120 and KingofThings like this.
  10. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

They have a car lot and a auto hobby shop, but no indoor car storage.
    ~
    Oh yes. I've wandered around YouTube and found some pretty odd/wild creations. Just takes a lot of education to know how all the electrical/software works. No thanks.
    ~
    Sometimes, it's the most boring thing I spend my time on. No need to get excited. :hilarious:
    ~
    I bet. There's a lot of veterans; some very proud of what they did and others not so much. Sometimes you get a lot of unwanted attention having served in the military.
    ~
    For antiques? :)

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

Thank you. I tried to find a site that wouldn't be too specific in one area of "aged possessions". Y'all seem like alright folks. :p
    ~
    Do you have a field of expertise?

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

I have a houseful of eclectic antiques....many from my parents (My Mom was the actual collector) and some my husband & I have added! It's been fun! I've done some restoring/refinishing and now we're in to relaxing!!!!:D:D:D:D

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

I have yet to acquire enough photos, but would you know anyone on the site with antique string instruments? I will eventually need a Mid-Altantic Coast appraiser and/or restoration expert for my 1917 violin currently located in the Mid-West.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Stay with it and someone will chime in for sure.....also check the Forums and see if there is another more appropriate place to post your query.......there seems to ALWAYS be someone with the right expertise!!!! Or at least to point you in the right direction!!

EDIT: My suggestion would be to go or stay in the Antiques Forum and start a new Thread....with a title for help on your 1917 Violin......

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

Oh, good you have it though!
    ~
    I can imagine it can be boring.... Why did you choose that rate then?
    Are you a Second Class PO?
    ~
    Yes, as in all things, veterans too, it takes all kinds.
    ~
    I am going to my nephew's wedding which happens to be on my birthday in DC. I am in early and leaving later. I'm being z tourista plus there are at least 50 thrift stores around! ;)
    I may hit some antique stores as well.

Gorn1120 likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

HAPPY BIRDHDAY KING!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

"Seemed like a good idea at the time" & Yes.
    ~
    Excellent news. Congratulations to your nephew, and good luck in the stores! I haven't snooped around here much.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. KingofThings

Thank you! :)

19. KingofThings

Ah! I figured that was about right with your time in service and your long range plans. :)
    ~
    Thank you!
    ~
    HT STICKER (640x640).jpg My rate>
    ~

20. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

The HTs I knew were super chill. Fabricated some pretty neat stuff and I appreciate the :vomit: work they did.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted