Featured JUST BOUGHT THIS 50" TALL ANTIQUE CABINET 17THC?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by chris klausen, Jul 10, 2023.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I concur....as well !

laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There was an "antique" store in our town for several decades. We knew the owners. They'd travel to England and Scandinavia buying up old, broken furniture, ship it back and make decor pieces out of it. Yes, it was old wood, but it was not an original antique. They were getting over $1000 for small cabinets back in the 80s, selling primarily to tony New York home decor stores.

Figtree3, laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I guess it's caveat emptor but one wonders how some people live with themselves.

Debora

Figtree3, laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

In this day and age I almost expect them to try and screw someone over. Shame and morals are as dead as good manners.

laura9797 and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The seller thought it was a Spanish religious relic cabinet from the 1600's.

Maybe the seller just ' wanted ' it to be that ???

or was hoping it would secure a sale...;)

6. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say but it's been made to look old, if you look at the hinge (19th c/20th c) you can see the ageing lacquer/stuff put on to the cabinet and over painted on to the brass, if it were early the hinge would be totally different.

Happy! likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted