Just about to give up on selling this painting is it that bad?

Discussion in 'Art' started by trip98, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Attractive painting. Credible listed artist. Eminently saleable.

But the frame is killing it, at least online.

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Alec's right; the frame is not so hot. However, I'd still want to do some research on the possibility of another painting under that one. Remove it from the frame and see if there's any more to see.

3. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

kk, I will see about removing the frame, I'm not that handy may have to wait for hubbie to do it for me. That would be fun to have superior painting underneath!

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

What does this say?
    ghost.jpg

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I just did a really bad photo shop on the frame. I'm not suggesting you use black but it looks better without the two colors, more specifically, the grey. It would probably look better all gold. I also darkened some of the glare.

You do have a lot of glare glare on that canvas. Next time you have an overcast day or if you have a shady area, try taking the photo outside or cover your lights with tissue paper. You can try to bounce the light off white boards so the lights are not directly on the painting.

It really is difficult to get a photograph of a painting or something under glass without the glare but you should be able to cut it down quite a bit.

[​IMG]

afantiques likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/hidden-painting-found-under-picassos-the-blue-room
    This is just one, but there are other famous paintings that have original under=paintings. I keep thinking they're going to find some of the stolen Gardner Museum paintings like this. That craquelure that shows mostly to the right of the vase on the table intrigues me. I can't believe it's part of the overpainting. There is something else under there.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

It could be a signature turned upside down. Just because the canvas was re-used doesn't mean it was right side up.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Alec Sutton

I don't know what others are seeing. Maybe I'm missing it. But all I can see is the shadow caused by the peripheral stretcher bar faintly embossing the canvas--fairly common on older paintings. I don't see any indicators of a hidden underpainting.

9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

sbzimmermanclose1.jpg sbzimmmermanx.jpg Thanks for the insight everyone. Took another photo. Which reminded me of the problems taking its photo. The light and dark contrast was difficult to capture without the flash going off or some kind of light glare. Finally got one to work with a different camera, in full shade outside with indirect full sun. Upon inspection, (its was stored and wrapped up) the ghost frame on the painting looks like it is from the wood frame pressing through from the back. Probably from improper storage at some point. Also, attached it a close- up of crackulare in question.

Attached Files:

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am with Alec in that the stretcher has made the impression around the boarder. The new pic is so much better and may help sell the painting. Selling paintings on ebay is so hit and miss and most sell way below established values. I have had several very good paintings by established artists go begging because I was not willing to give them away. I have seen many good paintings go for a few hundred that might make well over $1000.00 in an established auction. Something needs to be exceptional to make good money on ebay.

11. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Completely agree with Verybrad. I was holding on some good paintings because I knew I would not get the right price on Ebay. But I had to sell them and of course not very happy with the sales but I needed some extra money.
    On the other hand, you may get better luck at auction houses but have to deal with all the wait, bigger fees etc..

12. Alec Sutton

A narrow cool gold frame with a white linen liner might bring the picture out better and be more to contemporary taste. There are of course many ways to enhance a picture for online sales.
    fleurs.jpg

Messilane likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

It must be me, but I'm still seeing what looks like different brush strokes highlighted in different views.

Draft saved Draft deleted