Japanese Vase Identification Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RayRay, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is always the most important thing. I have copies of ancient art that I thoroughly enjoy.

RayRay likes this.
  2. Touch300

Touch300 New Member

I have a sleeping cat with the same marking.how can I add a photograph,so someone can tell me it my cat is fake or not ,thank you

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Touch300 already has 2 images of her item posted to the Gallery. I suggested there that she create a thread and embed those pictures in it. Hopefully the combination of your suggestion and mine will be sufficient. ;)

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

@Touch300 , some time has passed since the others gave you advice, maybe you had trouble posting a thread. Thanks to Bakersgma I took a look at your gorgeous sleeping cat, so I took the liberty of posting your photos here.
    Yes, it is the same mark, and as khl pointed out, this is probably a 1990s mark for Chinese made porcelain in the Satsuma style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Touch300

Touch300 New Member

Thank you for your reply.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

I agree the mark is 明治 Mingzhi, reading Meiji in Japanese. As in Emperor Meiji and the period named for him just as you say.

8. Darklord

Darklord New Member

Hi bought two "Satsuma" vases at auction obviously could go there as covid restrictions they have just arrived no marks on base of either but some kanji on the neck and at the base although faded can anyone help me identify whether I just set my money on fire by buying these

9. Bakersgma

Hello, Darkford. How about posting pictures of your purchases?

10. Darklord

Darklord New Member

Pictures too big to attach to post unfortunately trying to work out how to get them on so everyone can see

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Resize by emailing them to yourself as Medium.

Darklord and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Did you take the pictures with a actual camera or with your phone?

13. Darklord

Darklord New Member

Phone

14. Darklord

Darklord New Member

Uploaded pictures to main site gallery

15. Any Jewelry

16. Bakersgma

Well, the decor certainly looks like Satsuma. Don't know how much you spent or what your frame of reference is for "spent too much" versus it was worth what I paid. Did they turn out to be something other than what you expected?

17. Darklord

Darklord New Member

Caveat emptor no markings one has been completely broken and cemented and glued back together at some distant point theres a reference to a French auction also a Spanish auction I paid too much for what they are

If I had of seen these up close maybe I'd have paid 50 instead of 250

Legit would've been nice

18. Bakersgma

Well, expensive lesson, that's for sure. There was no disclosure of repairs/damage?

I don't know what you want to hear. But if I were you I would never buy from an online only auction again.

19. Darklord

Darklord New Member

No disclosure don't have the money to waste again so lesson hard learned

One nice looking vase for dry flowers the other has been relegated to storage

Draft saved Draft deleted