Jadeite possibly ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by daveydempsey, Jun 13, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi Judy! Glad to see you posting! Love your kitty in the basket, I've got one that just can't seem to stay off my keyboard so if I end up posting something like llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll that's why LOL!

Ok not to stray too far off topic, I guess I didn't realize that ammonites were extinct. I suppose I'd always assumed they were a form a nautilus but I Googled and I see that they were more closely related to a different modern species. Huh.

2. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Kolbert explains that the ammonites had teeny eggs and when the cataclysm hit, the dust fallout had more impact on the water's surface where they were floating. The nautiluses had large eggs and were lower down so survived. At least, that's the theory.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I bought these at a trift store. I think they are 2 halves of the same shell (about 5" across), possibly nautilus but could be ammonite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These things aren't exactly uncommon. You can easily find them on eBay. They mostly seem to come from Madagascar.

The inside cells were partly hollow with a light crystal coating, a bit like a geode:
    [​IMG]

The patterning on the outsides can be very elaborate:
    [​IMG]

This one seemed to be opalized. Moving it around in the light gave flashes of bright red:
    [​IMG]

I've read that ammonites could grow to huge sizes - 10ft across.

spirit-of-shiloh and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are gorgeous!!

5. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

I remember when you got those! According to Kolbert, the animal lived only in the outermost chamber. No one knows what they looked like or how they moved because of course the soft tissue did not survive.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There are some fossils sites in the world where soft tissues were preserved. The Burgess shale in British Columbia is one of the best know. Other, similar deposits have been found in Iceland and China. The creatures trapped there apparently sank into an anaerobic patch of water - no oxygen, therefore no decomposition, and shale is very fine silt so remarkable detail was preserved. Some of those fossils look like little more than smudges. One was so weird in its reconstructed shape that they named it hallucigenia.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Those are cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted