Jadeite possibly ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by daveydempsey, Jun 13, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I am a rouck hound but know 1% of what they are.:) I just grab what I find interesting and went to lapidary shops to purchase my slabs to cut into pieces for cabs,etc.. I wish to someday go to AZ or NM on a turquoise hunt;)

I did find some small desert sandstone boulders filled with holes and sea shells in some of the openings. The shells looked like pistaschio nuts ?

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That's interesting about not taking rocks off the beach. Here you can't take rocks from National Parks etc. so I guess it's all about who owns/controls the shoreline.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Here is my bit of rock garden (not finished yet)
    I`ve already found a fossilised feather and what appears to be the remains of a poppy seedpod.

010.JPG

007-tile.jpg

013.JPG

012.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Here`s some fossils I`ve had for years.
    Two pieces of Baltic amber with insect inclusions and a double Trilobite.

001_zpscf9c9bf4-vert.jpg

BalticAmberwithFlyinclusion2_zps1be9297f.jpg

BalticAmberwithGnatinclusion1_zps97697778.jpg

016.JPG

015.JPG

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

WOW I love your trilobite and the amber. :)

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Here are some of the semi precious stones I have collected over the years to make my jewelry. In one of the containers you will see an amber blob but no insect.:(

Attached Files:

antidiem likes this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread Davey, I am on a roll ;) Here are some rocks I keep outdoors. I watered them so you could see the colors. When they are cut and polished then the color remains. I just saw my sandstones have all the sea shells missing? I wonder if the critters got em? I have some geodes that I cut and the ones that were not crystelized I cut into slabs. Also petrified wood,petrified sea snails,jet,lots of agate and a honkin piece of rose quartz,etc.

Attached Files:

gregsglass and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I LOVED LOOKING AT YOUR ROCK COLLECTIONS! :joyful:

Shiloh, Your rocks are so well organized! :happy:

If the seashells "disappeared" from stone exposed to fresh water, it could be that they became unstable when exposed to fresh water.

I was a kid when I discovered I could not keep a seashell inside of my freshwater aquarium tank because it dissolved..!

I still have large cans of beautiful seashells from the 1960s Atlantic Ocean family trips and some of my old rock collection. I'd like to find a home for the rest of my coral and the reef salt water aquarium too but that's not something I can ship!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  9. spirit-of-shiloh

Hi anti, the sea shells have been in my sandstone holes for years. I used to keep them stored in the garage. Since I have all the rocks in a screen container outside, I think something took them :( They were the size of pistashios.

antidiem likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Wow -- love all the rocks and love Davey's green stones, chert or whatever. What is it with rocks? Ya just gotta pick them up! I'm prone to taking a few rocks whenever I go beachcombing. I want to find a fossil -- haven't yet, but will maybe take rock hunting more seriously when I retire...maybe... I do have a rock polisher which is fun.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

Rock polisher? You mean a tumbler?

12. kentworld

Yes, a tumbler. Lots of fun, but it takes a while to get results!

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like those trilobites as well. Sometimes I look at the ones available on eBay. Some remarkable specimens come from Morocco. (And even fossils get faked.)

I never found a whole trilobite. Apparently they molted - like crabs - and all I've ever found are fragments:
    RockFossilTrilobiteParts&HornCoral-b.jpg

I have this beautiful fossil horn coral:
    RockFossilHornCoralNiagaraPenninsula-a.jpg

These are pink dolomite crystal with gypsum:
    RockMineralPinkDolmiteCrystalsClearGypsum-a.jpg

Sphalerite crystals ( a zinc ore - very small):
    RockMineralSphaleriteCrystalsLimestone-a.jpg

RockMineralSphaleriteCrystalsLimestone-c.jpg

This is chalcopyrite on talc. This was collected from a rock dump at a talc mine. (I remember someone at the mine saying that the pyrites were a problem as they stained the talc.):
    RockMineralChalcopyriteCrystalTalc-a.jpg

And this is a piece of slag I picked up from a mine somewhere. I just liked the flow pattern:
    RockMineralCopperNickelMineSlag-a.jpg

I have other crystal specimens I've bought here and there, but the above are pieces I collected myself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  14. kentworld

Ooooh, Bob, those are great!

15. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

16. kentworld

Certainly looks like it's been through a lot of heat!

17. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Hi, my first post on this board -- by chance I am reading Elizabeth Kolbert's Sixth Extinction and am on the ammonite chapter. Really fascinating. They went out with the Yucatan asteroid.

18. kentworld

There's another book I should read...

19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Judy,
    Welcome. Ricky and I have settled in here fine. How is Binky?
    greg

20. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Hi Greg, Hi Wendy, Hi Davey, etc.! Hope everyone is doing really well. It's so nice to have this Board.
    Binky is fine, still slimmed down, but Scrushy (in the basket) got fat. They both make us laugh, especially in summer when they lie on their backs airing their pits.
    I just started selling a couple of things on Ebay after about 6 months off... my cousins gave me a few things to sell for them. It's been a good break.

707susang and kentworld like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted