Featured Jadeite jade graduated 2 rows 1930s necklace.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kyratango, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Other than the reversal of relative light/dark between the necklace & the background, the color stays the same for me between the 2 pix.

This is what the autocorrect feature of my photo editing program did with the original photo, lightening the background while leaving the beads the same shade of green:

upload_2019-4-23_11-25-35.png

Attached Files:

scoutshouse, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

There's a similar problem in photographing color change sapphires. They look absolutely peacock blue in certain light. It's right there in front of your eyes. Yet many cameras, mine included, persist in seeing the stone as the same purple it looks in mixed light. I'm not a sophisticated photographer, so leave my camera on automatic all the time. It has been suggested to me that I might have to fuss with the white balance to get the camera to see what I see.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot:Your photo editing promram works better than my simple Google photos... But I do all directly on my phone, so going to the easiest to me:oops:

I still find this color yummy, and can imagine it in reality:joyful::arghh:;)

Each time I take a pic, I try to edit it till it gives the right "in flesh" color:)

scoutshouse, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I get that a lot too, not just the white paper turning blue, but also whatever I am photographing. I also photograph near a window or terrace door, out of direct sunlight, but the colour of natural light changes so much depending on the weather and time of year. And than there is double glazing, we have the kind with some kind of foil.:confused:

The lack of knotting throughout didn't bother me either, have seen it before on good quality jade. There is knotting in between the last few beads at either end, btw.
    But I did wonder whether the problem could have been that the diamonds were not actual diamonds?

5. Any Jewelry

Good point, I missed the loop, and yes it could have had a tail or a tassel. Maybe similar size or smaller beads or even a silk tassel?

6. kyratango

No... only the loop part of the safety chain:)

scoutshouse, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Oops, it looked like there was nothing attached to it.:shame: A loose loop, so to speak.:D

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have tried my best to learn about jade and jadeite... it eludes me. Lovely strand. Jade pieces, as well as coral pieces, are very overlooked here. I do snatch up the coral and genuine pearl pieces, and the jade/jadeite if it is not too pricey.

9. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

Love the colour. Thanks for sharing..

scoutshouse, Bronwen and judy like this.
  10. kyratango

Ha, Marko, jade jadeite is so complex... and adding treated stones... it is part of a culture too, Occidentals doesn't live around it, and it is not as precious to our eye as it is for mostly Chinese!
    Must have too a gut feeling for authenticity and dye treatments, apart from clues to recognize it from other green stones:)
    If cheap and lovely, grab ;)

Thanks to you for loving it:joyful:

Marko, scoutshouse, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

This is how the cord was tied off at the ends, by running it back & knotting between a couple of beads. It doesn't speak to the nature of the beads, but probably indicates an amateur beader did the stringing.

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Really gorgeous, @kyratango !

Not odd at all. These aren't as impressively precious as your, kyra, but I love them! I paid a jeweler to restring these beads for my birthday but didn't really look at them for quite a while.

They matched the dark thick thread from the original and followed the image I provided to keep them in the same order... But the knots are way loose - so small, some of the metal beads just slide right over them. I think he sent it out - that's the only excuse I can come up with for such a poor outcome. He wasn't happy about giving them back to me without a receipt when I picked them up, and I just didn't want to go back. :(

2019-04-24 10.31.48.jpg
    2019-04-24 10.32.33.jpg

2019-04-24 10.32.47.jpg
    2019-04-24 10.35.44.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  13. Bronwen

Knotting when there's a large disparity between the holes of the beads is a PITA. You can use only the largest bead cord that fits through the smallest hole, which may not make a single knot larger than the largest hole. When I was in my bead stringing days, I used to solve this by flanking beads with a large hole with inconspicuous smaller beads, even fill them with tiny beads that didn't show at all, & knot them as a cluster. Sometimes resorted to double knotting where a larger knot was needed, but found it hard to get right & you could see it if looking closely. The 'helper' beads worked better.

kyratango likes this.
  14. kyratango

Uhhh, so sad a jeweller took your money to do such a poor job on pretty beads and gold pearls:banghead:
    This is what I did when I tried to put together some beads with different holes... but a professional :wideyed:

@Bronwen YOU CLEVER BEADER! Thank you for the trick :kiss:
    I didn't even thought of filling the large holes with small glass seed beads:facepalm:.

komokwa, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

That's it exactly. Or put a small gold spacer bead either side. Often I use little crystal beads because the pointed end goes part way into the problem bead & adds just a little touch of sparkle. :kiss::kiss:

kyratango likes this.
  16. scoutshouse

Thanks, @kyratango
    :)
    I'll get it fixed up again - really miss wearing it!

komokwa, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I still do that.:shame:
    I am sorry that happened, scouts. He should never have given them to you like that.:rage:
    When I buy a second hand knotted string of beads, and the knotting is like that, I thread a very thin thread through the cord and the knots, and pull the whole thing together. I used to re-knot them, but can't be bothered now.:rolleyes:

18. scoutshouse

Thanks, @Any Jewelry

I'm stuck as I really loved the color and style of the original knotting. I may go whole jog on it and switch out the sterling clasp with a brass spring ring to match the rondells.

It's kind of an odd mix of materials, isn't it? :) but something about the combination of stones suits me. I <3 it.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  19. kyratango

What about this nice jade necklace with lazy nylon fish threading... And the voracious seller who is selling it for $2,411.75 Buy It Now or Best Offer with a gem lab certificate, even not testing for treatment:facepalm:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted