Featured ivory pendant, claw? brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

My late Father was an Elk and collected these. We must have a hundred of them. eBay and Etsy have decided they are ivory and therefore unsellable. My brother wants to scrap the gold on them. I just can’t bring myself to destroy them ……yet.

2. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Why aren't they sellable??
    Leslie

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Elephant ivory selling is banned in many countries or states... endangered species parts are too...

4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand that about elephant ivory... but aren't there some other kinds of ivory?? And wouldn't the claw still be ok?

Leslie

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a claw is not ivory..

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

was worth testing after all, cleaned up nice with a sunshine cloth, tested 9ct or above(only got a 9ct solution)

if it was just silver i think i wouldnt bother doing anything with it

shame but might have to scrap the gold on it, to make a buck or two

i would like to keep the claw and maybe get it made into a pendant, as a brooch man i am not anyway

ag1.jpg ag2.jpg ag4.jpg

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Yeah, the thought did not cross my mind , and I was not aware at the time salt water Crocs were on the other side of the island, probably a good thing as I would have not enjoyed my time in the water . It's like the 12 or so juvenile great whites that have been hanging out around Manresa beach in Aptos / Santa cruz, CA the last few years and the surfer that was killed last year : it has dampened my spirits and though I used to avidly body board / Boogie board in the past , I think I will not be out there again...as well as kayak.... . At 59 with bad arthritis in the middle and upper back, it's hard anyway , though the cool water does actually seem to help.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Don’t do it! There’s a huge amount of them for sale on eBay. My friend sold one recently on there actually. Maybe just be careful with the way you title them? It would be a real shame for what I can’t imagine would be a huge reward. I don’t think there is a whole ton of gold on them. Also I’ve noticed when listing potentially iffy materials you usually have a couple weeks before they get flagged if you’re careful. So if you price competitively you may be able to get a sale before it’s an issue. As far as these go though they are widely available on eBay.

10. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

I already tried a couple years ago before I was told they were considered ivory. They threatened to ban me if I listed them again. Etsy also pulled one I put on there. It’s such a stupid rule as elk aren’t endangered and these are really old. I see them on both sites all the time.

J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Sometimes you’re just the unlucky one that takes the hit I guess. Have you tried listing them just as elks club fobs/charms rather than including tooth in the title? People will still find them. I think you have 3 strikes or more on eBay until you would potentially get banned.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted