Is is real or a very nice print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by nursenancy4, Apr 26, 2016.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Yes, the ebay listing is the same, so if that what the guru says is "true" this has to be a print.

Several years ago, collectibles guru Harry Rinker come down here to host a Road Show-type event. The friend who owns this artwork brought it to Mr. Rinker for appraisal and was told that it is indeed an authentic painting, not a print. Because Mr. Rinker did not have access to art auction records, he was unable to assign a value. So, the price we are asking for the painting is based on that one publically available auction record.

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

but - if a guru said it's a gouache, it must be true, right? It looks like it's matted exactly the same. Even if they're both prints, the comps I posted earlier are for lithographs, not original art - sorry, I mixed the thumbnails up a bit. The two

also:
    This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Here's the copy for the litho on the right, with tugboat that sold at $850:

SETH ARCA WHIPPLE, COLOR LITHOGRAPH, 'TUG CHAMPION TOWING SCHOONERS', 1878, 23 7/8" X 35 5/8":Color on woven paper, printed by Calver Lithography Co., Detroit, in original frame with original glass.

and that ain't bad. :L)

I gotta go grab one of those Swiss Army Knives!!!!

3. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

no it is not mine, so guessing a print then, thanks you all so much,

Draft saved Draft deleted