Featured INFO, VALUE ON ANTIQUE MINIATURE TORAHS & MINIATURE BIBLES?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 10, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'm grateful jivvy!!

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Well, it may take a few days. Patience's family is an old one (in the US) and I'm into years with little documentation, so it takes some sorting (and whatever I end up would not qualify as "real" genealogical research -- because that takes years).

What I know about Patience (in a nutshell and assuming I have the right person) is that she was born in 1843 (Rhode Island) and died in 1879 (Connecticut). She married Leonard Bartlett and they had two children. I believe twins -- Clara and Clarence, as best I can tell both born in March 1879.

Patience was deaf and attended the American School for the deaf. Her husband was also deaf (and he also attended the American School for the Deaf, where he trained as a shoemaker). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_School_for_the_Deaf

SIDEBAR: In 2017, the Connecticut Historical Society had an exhibit: "200 years of Impact by the American School for the Deaf" Included in the exhibit: Ambrotype portrait of ASD student and shoemaker Leonard Bartlett of East Killingly, about 1850 (JIVVY comment: that's Patience's husband) . Also, certificate presented to Leonard Bartlett by ASD, signed by school principal Lewis Weld, 1853.

Patience died in 1879 -- same year the children were born. With the children born in March and Patience died in May, it would not be a surprise if she died from complications from the birth, but no evidence of that.

Patience's father died in Jan 1872 and I suspect Patience married in 1872... still working on that one, though.

It's possible there's family history here (being an old family) that will add value to the bible. It's also possible that it will add nothing. It's possible the Connecticut Historical Society would love a gift of the bible. Maybe not.

But I'm having fun, so there's that. ;)

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

@journeymagazine Alright, I've gone as far as I'm going, so...

I'm 90+% convinced that the Patience mentioned in my previous message was the owner of the bible you have.

I believe all the info given in my last message is accurate.

Now, based on other people's research, I believe that all four of her grandparents' families arrived in what is now the USA in mid to late 17th century.

I have no idea if this adds monetary value to the bible, but its family has a lot of history. I'm guessing either the Connecticut Historical Society or the American School for the Deaf would appreciate a gift (but so many people turn down historical gifts these days, I could be wrong).

5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Bible is inscribed for May, 1872, with her maiden name, although possibly an engagement gift?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted