Info on silver vase?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JennyD18, Apr 1, 2018.

1. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

My gram’s Irish Catholic Gram's Scrapbook 075 .jpg and she was married in Flushing, NY, so I don’t think it has anything to do with her background. I’m fascinated by it, too! I was over at my parents’ house for Easter dinner and Gram brought this out to put her new bouquet in. We started looking at the images and were trying to figure out what the heck it was depicting. Gram doesn’t know anything else; she just remembers getting the impression that this was a special gift. I left the pitcher at their house, but I’ll ask my mom to take more pictures tomorrow. :) ...and thank you for the warm welcome!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what an odd thing to give a young woman.....specially by other young women.....unless it had meaning...

Christmasjoy, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

About the only way you'll find out what metal it is without hallmarks is to have it tested. Try a pawnshop or a jewelery/metal scrapper and ask them to scan it for you. That oughta tell you.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Somewhere out there is a frieze from a Mesopotamian culture this was taken from. Does not accord well with anything I could find for Gilgamesh or Hammurabi. Would be interested in seeing more squarely the 2 scenes from right in front of the handle on either side.

upload_2018-4-2_8-50-19.png

upload_2018-4-2_8-50-40.png

It photographs like pewter to my inexpert eye. My eye also says gram is a beauty.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think it's a lion.

7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nice find, Hunting!!!! I think the similarities are very interesting!!!!!! The first image that @Bronwen showed above, and this part of the basin YOU found......Plus the figures are all so similar......!!!

zBasinSimilarities.jpg

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Gram's VERY lovely too!!!!!!!:):):):):)

10. Huntingtreasure

Thanks Aquitaine, for making sense of those pics!
    It takes a village!

11. Huntingtreasure

;):rolleyes:I think Gram is going to “Break the Internet”

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Definitely Persian. And agree, the 'dog' is a lion. Asiatic lions have shorter manes.
    Lions are very important symbols in Iran, even though they are extinct there now. There are still some in India.

And Gram is beautiful and classy.:)

13. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

Thank you for the great suggestion!

Christmasjoy, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  14. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! They made my gram's day. She just celebrated her 90th birthday. :) My mom took some new pictures so I hope they help--we're thrilled and so grateful for your expertise. IMG-1134JPG[1].jpg IMG-1136JPG[1].jpg IMG-1137JPG[1].jpg IMG-1139JPG[1].jpg IMG-1140JPG[1].jpg IMG-1141JPG[1].jpg IMG-1142JPG[1].jpg IMG-1144JPG[1].jpg IMG-1145JPG[1].jpg IMG-1146JPG[1].jpg

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  15. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

16. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

I think that may be the "enhance" option that I used on my phone--it took the shine out of the picture. I added some new photos around the handle. Thanks! She's tickled by the compliments!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  17. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

18. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Pitcher to everyone. :joyful:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Silver to me.... my myopic eye... :borg:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. JennyD18