Featured Info on Antique Jewelry Box / Sailor’s Ditty Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cereus17, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

It is a bit of a mystery. I'm having fun trying to do the research. I've tried to find out at what earliest approximate date a small half mortise lock such as this could have used a flat key. So far I haven't found any kind of reference. (There must be forums for lock geeks somewhere out there....)

I'd actually be fine if the box turned out to be a later (1930s) homage to late 19th century boxes. But it seems to me that the maker would then have been sure to use an older style / barrel key style lock. Certainly they were still readily available in the 30s....
    Will post more pics. Thanks.

komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  2. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

The left hinge IS in fact bent. (Hadn't noticed that until I photographed it today.) That probably did happen when the big scratch was made by the other hinge. Maybe somebody (very clumsily) pried the box open at some time.

The marks on the other hinge are just scratches - not maker's marks.

In the third photo you can see the impression left by the missing mirror.
    IMG_20240203_092809.jpg IMG_20240203_092825.jpg IMG_20240203_093149.jpg

3. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Here are a few pics taken at an angle that shows the odd matte and semi-gloss patches. Don't know what they tell us - if anything. IMG_20240203_093633.jpg IMG_20240202_180931.jpg IMG_20240203_093656.jpg

4. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

"So far I haven't found any kind of reference. (There must be forums for lock geeks somewhere out there....)" Looking for a flat key lock date was my first port of call before I even commented but I couldn't find any definitive answer. I have 130 ish boxes dating from 1760's to 1920's and none of them have that kind of lock and that with the finish patches made me think it might have been later, although everything else about the box said 1880's-1900. I still think continental but the truth is I don't exactly know.

komokwa and Cereus17 like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The left hinge IS in fact bent

I knew that would be the case......but needed to see it ....to see the damage...and if it could say something about the hardware....;):wideyed:

All this talk about the lock.....

While the lid catch looks like the fit is original.....it is missing a screw...
    and the lock itself looks like it's smaller than the original wood cut out, with a dark indentation on the purple felt that looks as if something hard pressed into it....but is no longer there.......leading me to surmise that the lock was changed at some point ...
    just going by what I see...;)

[​IMG]

808 raver and Cereus17 like this.
  6. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Interesting! I see what you mean. That seems very possible. Thanks.

808 raver and komokwa like this.
  7. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Thanks for bringing your expertise to the question.

808 raver and komokwa like this.
  8. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I do believe you have it, it's been done very well but yes, the lock would have been totally encapsulated with wood on the top but now it seems to have the inner slither missing exposing the compressed velvet, it must have been a lucky find to have another lock the exact same size width with the key hole where the old one was.

Cereus17 and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

True that..... but maybe when it was changed, locks of that type were more readily available...???;)

808 raver and Cereus17 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted