ID of cutlery patterns

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by KSW, Sep 26, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry for the radio silence, work got in the way!.
    Yes No 7 could say Rd, that would be logical.
    The USA Sterling ones do test as silver.
    The knife Honer and Nutcrackers test as silver and are non magnetic until half way down the handles where presumably there is an insert from the business end.
    I've yet to clean them properly but is it unusual not to have a hallmark?.Im sure I've tested deep enough to remove plate. The only other Patrician honer I found on the internet is plate and marked Community.
    Do I put them on eBay and let them find their price? The nutcrackers are rather nice and in better condition and if silver presumably have a reasonable value whereas some ****** has used the honer as a hammer :rolleyes:.

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The one KSW has is the Oneida/Community Coronation, first released in 1936 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI. It was such a popular pattern that Onieda continued off and on production right up until they closed the factory doors about 10 years ago.

i need help likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi Darkwing - Replacements is fine for USA cutlery for which you know the maker's mark. Not great for maker's outside the US.

4. Bakersgma

Whoops. I thought you were talking about the Dorchester Silver Plate item that INH found and referred to as "Coronation." Which is clearly a different design.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Sandra, i need help and KSW like this.
  5. Bakersgma

There was no company named USA Sterling. In fact in the late 1800's, there were a number of plating companies that used sterling in their name despite not making a single solid silver item.

We really need to see (not just read about) the marks on the ones you say are "tested as silver" - which ones are "USA Sterling"?

I'm sure you tried to do the right thing to get far enough in to get past "plating" and down to where the base metal would normally be, but if the item has no marks whatsoever, it cannot be British sterling. Yes, it would be very unusual a solid silver item made in the UK to have no hallmark.

The good news is that Oneida did make Patrician in sterling, so it should have Oneida Sterling on the side of the handle - may be worn or shallow. https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Patterns/Oneida2.html

Sandra and i need help like this.