Featured I took a punt and bought this, what do members think?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Mar 19, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I didn't get to do a photo before I fixed it :(

2. 808 raver

I'm not yet at the stage of throwing it away but it's missing all it's original metal wear (hinges/lock) and it does have a lot of damage. On the plus side the carving is as good as the photos and it does seem very old.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it does. It is an interesting box.

Tagging some other people who may be able to help with an ID of the wood: @Ghopper1924 , @Drew , @Jeff Drum .

808 raver likes this.
  4. 808 raver

I do believe I have found the answer purely by accident lol. I gave up looking and continued my search for treasures on ebay and came across a box that almost certainly is from the same region and carved in the same way, the strange thing is I would have eyed up this box even if I hadn't seen the box I bought, even stranger thing is I have been a Anglo Indian box collector for over a decade and never seen this type of Northern Indian carving before. It's not exactly the same, mine is darker (dirty) and the pattern isn't the same but the similarities are too close to ignore. I'm convinced, what do you think?
    Here is the link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235343519349

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am not convinced it is from the same region, but it could be from the next region.;) It is certainly worth looking into Northern Indian boxes.

808 raver likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. 808 raver

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. 808 raver

I did think I had it :( , the reason was the stippling behind the main pattern and the way the leaves are carved with a gouge out of the centre of the leaf.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted