Howdy from Arizona

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FlyingButtonRanch, May 9, 2015.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Welcome to the most wonderful board around. I have a lot of NYC policeman dress uniform buttons. Can't sell them on ebay. Most are vintage 70s. Two I have are 1910 don't want to sell those.
    greg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

FBR -I read your account of judging the black glass button summaries - sad that they were all disqualified.
    I have a small baggie of antique black glass buttons in my drawer at the store. I've been hoarding them for about a year. My favorite is a small one with a spider and web.
    Can you show us how you display yours?

FlyingButtonRanch and gregsglass like this.
  3. gregsglass

Hi Book,
    Ohhhhh that spider button sounds wonderful.:hurting: using this emoticon for ENVY.
    greg

FlyingButtonRanch likes this.
  4. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

@ Gregg: Buttons are a funny thing. It drives dealers nutz trying to figure out what we'll buy. For military and police buttons, it's all about the Age/Country/State/Manufacturer Marks. There are a zillion police buttons from the 1970's out there. Save them up, and throw them in a button lot or jewelry lot you list on FleaBay some day for some extra metal sparkle and zing? LOL

@ Bookahtoo: Thanks for reading the blog! A black glass spider/web is a great button! I display my buttons pretty much the same as what you saw on the blog (my black glass entry is on that page). They sell templates to make nice arraignments in patterns, but you can just figure out a pattern that's pleasing yourself. We use coated thin phone wire, loop it through the shanks, then punch holes with a sharp metal awl in a piece of mat board (button collectors use 9"x12"). We wind the wire around the back of the board to secure them.

I'm having trouble figuring out the picture thing here. So hopefully this link works right. This is a fun theme entry I did for Identifiable Comic and Characters (and one of my favorite pictorial sections for collecting). It was a 1st Place tray. Use the magnifying glass above to enlarge for detail. (LINK)

5. elizabeth buckley

elizabeth buckley New Member

Welcome, I was in Quartzite in January for the Pow wow rock show and the Desert Gardens show-my 1st time, beautiful country!!!

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I lived in AZ as a kid and have a brother that lives in Scottsdale. It's beautiful and there is a lot of crowing from him about the weather when we're iced in or snowed in on the east coast every January. Summers, well it's a dry heat as opposed to our stifling humidity, don't know who wins on that.

I'm fascinated with buttons and while I have no button collections I do have a couple books for reference purposes. I look forward to reading your blog and learning more.

Welcome!

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. FlyingButtonRanch

Thanks for the welcome @say_it_slowly Yeah, I like to bug my friends in other states about our weather here. We've had unusually cool, spring-like weather lately and it's pretty wonderful. I've been wearing flip flops for about a month.

Which books do you have? I have loads of them, and am always happy to help ID a button, buckle or fastener (or give it a new home with others of its kind, LOL!).

For anyone that needs to look up buttons, but doesn't have a guide book, there is a truly fantastic website about buttons that is organized by the different materials at the Button Country website (owned by NBS). If you click the button type, different buttons made of that material or type come up, and you can roll over them to see the back of the button and any back mark.

Yeah, humidity vs. 120 degrees... there are no winners. LOL
    hot-lazy-summer-days-justification-seasonal-ecards-someecards.png

Pat P, Messilane and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Love the attachment and yes.... One can only take off so many clothes. :)

9. say_it_slowly

At the moment the only book I seem able to lay hands on is the Big Book of Buttons and I don't recall other names (and could actually have loaned them/it out). It's been awhile since I looked.

Thanks for the website link!

10. FlyingButtonRanch

Now THAT is THE button book to have! Good for you. Mine is dog eared (and dog chewed, my Poodle puppy ate the corner of it the first week I had it). I'd love to find another copy since Luna the Wonder Chihuahua is not a chewer.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks from me, too, for the link to the button site. :)

12. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

sigh . . . some of us would give our eye-teeth for that book! :woot:

Although, the link that FBR gave us is splendid! Thank you so much for that!

13. say_it_slowly

I think I did give my eye-teeth and got an older version when I did.:rolleyes:

14. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Indeed! :D

15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

16. FlyingButtonRanch

I watched the old version sell for over $200.00 on ebay not long ago. :clown: Insanity! I paid $80 for mine, used... and I thought that was highway robbery LOL! (but was glad to get my hands on a copy, as it was out of print then).
    My 2nd favorite book is Peggy Ann Osborne's book About Buttons. It was my first button book. I was actually able to buy several buttons that came from her personal collection this year that were featured in that book including a set that I had been looking for for 20 years! It was awesome.

*waves at all-fakes* Back atcha!

17. gregsglass

Hi Messi,
    Check your library for their sales. I got a copy of Hazel Weatherman's book II for 50 cents. I was upset since some woman got Tardis silver for a dollar. I offered her 40 dollars for it. She knew better.
    greg

18. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Hi flyingbuttonranch, I never gave you a warm welcome but I have seen you here for awhile. a BIG WELCOME :D

19. FredZ

FredZ Member

Welcome FRB, I too am new here and also live in Arizona.
    The buttons in my collection of metalwork are there because they are an example of a particular technique or process. I am interested in handmade items and have several examples of buttons crafted or decorated by artists and skilled craftsmen.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey there Fred...
    While looking around the site for interesting threads to post on ....have a look at the bottom left corner of the last post.

You just welcomed a member who's last post here was MAY 11 2015......& hasn't been back since June 2015......16 months ago....!!!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted