How to spruce up this vitrine display table ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Calico, Oct 22, 2014.

1. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, it is getting even more beautiful. What a prize you found!

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Calico, do you think you will be leaving the original fabric inside? Just curious.

3. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I think I will. I'm not looking to refurbish it, just keep it original as possible.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

The yellow flowers pop out. It is so lovely and the fabric adds to the beauty :) I am a bit green with envy but very happy for you. :D

5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I thought the fabric was a nice match to the flowers. I can't wait to see how this looks after wax is applied.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see it once you've filled it with all of your Victorian jewelry!!!
    What a gorgeous piece.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Cali,
    Great job! I used to use vaseline on metal trim especially on iron lamp bases but it was a mess to clean them off, tried mineral oil and it was easier.
    greg

8. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Lucille, I don't have Victorian jewelry to fill it but I can make a good dent, add a small Vic photo album and maybe a few dags, folding sterling glasses, oh the possibilities are endless.
    Hi Greg, yeah this was easier, just let it soak into the gunk, used a stiff toothbrush then wiped.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's looking lovely.
    I agree, leave the old material. It's muted enough that whatever you put on it will display nicely.

Small mirrors, pieces of lace, or hankies can be used to hide the worst of the worn areas.

Very nice indeed

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Cali, here is another idea. I have an antique dealer/collector friend, she had a glass topped table something like this --was in her living room of her amazing 1920's Bungalow house in PA. She would change out the contents of the table w/holiday themes, etc. She had a phenomenal collection of antique and vintage holiday memorabilia. I think she was collecting vintage Halloween 30 years ago, even before the craze for most people hit. She would make these little displays using all kinds of figures, cards, photos. I always loved the Halloween and Christmas one.

Victorian theme sounds great -- but maybe change out for a holiday now and then! Of course you'd have to start collecting all kinds of new things...

11. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Wonderful idea Lucille, something to consider when I'm out and looking for smaller stuff. Another collection might get me put in the table though.:angelic:
    I thought you'd like to see it with some jewelry I added last night.

table5.jpg table6.jpg
    table7.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Wow, gorgeous. What a collection and a perfect way to display it. The table looks great. Esp. love the Victorian Scottish brooch (upper right)...

Well done!

13. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you. One day I'm going to find a Victorian Scottish agate and sterling buckle bracelet and my collection will be complete....yeah, right.;)

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Re those little cartons with their wax bottles of syrup:
    apparently if you still had one of those cartons, with the bottles untouched, you'd be looking at some pretty good money; almost none of them survived, yet people collect them.
    Similarly, there were little wax harmonicas made for Halloween; very few survived. My wife just sold two of those harmonicas, one was slightly damaged, for $100.
    Yikes.

15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

:)
    I do like that table though...I could sure find some stuff to put in it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  16. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Love all the eye candy in that lovely display. :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

17. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you all_fakes and shiloh. :)

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  18. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

What a beautiful table! What a bargain! Be careful with the jewelry on the fabric. A friend of mine had some that left tarnish marks on the antique fabric. After that happened she put small pieces of felt under the pieces that she cut to the shape of the pieces so that the felt could barely be seen.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I don't which is more beautiful - the table or the collection. Amazing together!

Draft saved Draft deleted