Featured Hoarder or storer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

I need more clear totes and shelves.... lots and lots of both!
    I actually decided to use one room of our vacation rental for my "for sale" room...as it will not be ready to start renting for at least another year :( problem is I moved stuff over before I had enough shelves and then my DH decided to help me and one day when I was out of town he sealed up like, 20 boxes and took them over....only problem is I didn't get a chance to write on the outside what was in the boxes.....arggggg:arghh:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ! ! !

I just got through looking at all your rooms that look so very much like mine.
    Then I showed my husband and said "See! I'm not any different from anyone else. And Greg says if I can see the floor - I'm not a hoarder! ! !"

Yahooo! ! !

Can't tell you all how much better I feel.

Oh, and I label the shelves in the freezer, but not the fridge.

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Tauriel, that sounds like something my DH might do. :jawdrop:

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Johnny, to the left of Times Square, third one down, just what is going on there?

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its by an artist named Sigfredo Pastor,and they are tango dancing ! Upright !:D

Messilane likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

We went from a cluttered look to a hoarder environment with my mother's things now contributing to STUFF EVERYWHERE! I've been trying to get it organized and contained but it's a slow process.

Below is our dining room turned into a library... a month ago there were so many boxes of books in the room we couldn't walk around the table. Now it's a whole lot of mismatched furniture and a bunch of stray stuff still without a home...

diningroom01.jpg

diningroom02.jpg

Our kitchen table is now a repository for things I took out of the dining room to make room for the books, plus other items I recently took out of boxes...

kitchen.jpg

The front hallway is filled with empty boxes and packing material from the things I unpacked. I'll probably have to pack some items back up and put them in the basement... if I can figure out where...

hallway.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The basement was already way too cluttered. When we get to it, we need to make room for more shelving units to try to get things organized.

basement01.jpg

basement02.jpg

In the living room, I still have piles of books on the floor and art work leaning against the wall and bookcases. Some day... maybe... I'll get everything looking orderly again... or maybe not... :confused:

livingroom.jpg

Joe2007 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oh, and I have to admit I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one living with this much clutter! So another thank you from me! :joyful:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

My name is af, and I'm a clutterholic! Would anyone else like to share?

I too think it is good I'm not the only one................

kentworld, cxgirl, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

OK....why don't I see DUST anywhere on your hoard guys??? I need to take some pics of the nightmare hoard I have but it will be a bit time consuming. :( I used to keep an immulate home once upon a time.............was I dreaming? Davey and Johnny, you have organization ;)

OK, here are pics of my book case I built for my old home in the valley 25+ years ago,I then tore it down and put it up where I live now.When I built it, it had special shelves for favorite books, all had to be in catagorized,.

Well,not anymore. Also you will see on a post where my kitties LOVE to sharpen their claws, and on the left side a buckled shelf I need to add support oneday.. The top scalloped moulding has square cutouts cause I had a beam ceiling then. Ok dust and all.:arghh: Af, I love your clocks, I collect them too but most of mine are TAT.:(
    Top left,I had to remove the post on the left so the front door could open all the way.
    ea7d5860-112e-4666-b37c-fa0b3efc48d6_zps1847f709.jpg
    Middle left
    d3c684da-653a-4d72-815d-972963ebdbfe_zpsf8cd1e10.jpg Bottom left
    phpfrtG4LPM_zps5d116757.jpg Top right
    66172e94-0770-4306-b99b-466ca183e245_zpsbb66f199.jpg

Middle right 7fce5848-5c5a-4425-9294-ebe34b03267e_zps1edaf850.jpg
    Bottom right 09226b1b-7f37-4cde-8c48-3b94053a442b_zpsafa4e7e7.jpg
    Hutch,you cant see the 2 bottom drawers or the other cupboard below but stuffed with stuff.
    27322_zps153a376f (1).jpg Looking down the hall to show more stuff. I have a huge sectional couch so I could not stand back to get one pic of the entire bookcase.
    phpIqyRm5AM.jpg
    Ho did these get out of order? Anyway this is the top of the middle connected to left and righ.
    c2a9870d-07f9-4df5-9ab6-d8d480db85b0_zps39c9a6c3.jpg

11. spirit-of-shiloh

Bev, my bedroom is a cluttered nightmare but my clothes I hang have to have all blouses,sweaters,pants,suits,dresses and jeans in their own area, also NO WIRE HANGERS,LOL. Oh and shudder if I find a short sleave shirt mixed with a long sleave.:eek:

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

OK, here are pics of my book case

That counts as 'tidy'. With History.

I think an important component of true clutter is the inability to find anything without a comprehensive search and the true benefit is the unexpected things you find while searching.

kentworld and Pat P like this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well I can't find a luggage sticker I sold a couple of days ago. Good luck to me!

Shiloh - those are very nice book shelves. I agree it looks pretty neat.

14. spirit-of-shiloh

OK, you asked for it :p I will now take a pic of my eBay room,dust and all, I mean how the heck can you dust clutter?. I also have items and boxes propped on stuff and I don't remember whats under some of that stuff. I have LP's on shelves I can't get to and more in containers buried under the hoard. :cool: I leave my window open 24/7 so all the desert dust blows in. I do wash all china ware I sell and polish all wood items etc. But I have not sold in awhile as I a too over whelmed,I need ORDER.:arghh:

Gawd I hate having to resize every pic I take. :mad:

phpzhL4glAM.jpg phpBpm3ppAM.jpg phpEHVamYAM.jpg phph9dSQCAM.jpg phpJxQ3zUAM.jpg

Joe2007, cxgirl and Pat P like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This has been a "fun" thread to view. Thanks for starting it, af. :)

I don't have much clutter, and the little bit that I do have is because my house does not have much storage space. One corner of the living room has a lot of "stuff" that I have no space for. Maybe I'll take a photo, but it won't be too impressive compared to all of this!

16. spirit-of-shiloh

My Calif. King has 1/3 filled against the wall with packing boxes,roll of bubble wrap and a bag of peanuts and boxes of gosh knows what? All piled up against my wall. I don't smoke it there and keep the door shut.I am so embarassed now.:oops:
    My cottage, can't call it a house, is only 850 sq.ft.3 small bedrooms,e bath, no dining room. I moved from house that was over 2000 sq.feer and my stuff and furniture fir then.I have edited this last post 3 ties, I think I am tired :arghh:

17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Don't be embarrassed - I haven't shown you mine yet!

18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Shiloh,I could happily spend HOURS digging through all your stuff ! I don't see it as a mess,I see it as a treasure hunt ! I too fight a never ending battle with dust,as my house is in what was a rural area until about a decade ago so the lane right next to my house is dirt ! On a hot dry day CLOUDS hang in the air when our neighbors go back and forth ! My best friend says its not dust,its "frosted" ! :woot:

19. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Well. This has been a fantastic thread. I mentioned to a member here on a private message that I thought of posting pictures of my basement recently, but I didn't want to be judged. Nice to see that wouldn't be the case.

My entire basement is for the business. It's mostly all organized within reason by section and that is also where the packing magic happens. The eBay office is in the upstairs of the house. I do have a tendency to have items that are ready to list plopped around the house (thankfully I have a patient partner). But other than those items, I work very hard to keep everything in the basement or my office only.

Now... that said. The basement is huge and you can't see hardly anything in these pictures. I have more inventory already, than I will ever list in my lifetime and I'm in my mid 40's. There are 19 bookshelves full of collectibles and only 2 and 1/2 are currently listed. There are boxes of CD's, towers of records and rare VHS tapes. There are many quality clothes and other items. There are boxes of NOC vintage action figures.

Unfortunately, like others I have my own set of issues (Chronic Pain, born with a neck fusion, 24-hour headaches/migraines, rotted nerves and deteriorating bones and other fun stuff). I usually have grandeur plans for my day to zoooom through the listings, but it doesn't happen.

Funkey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I suspect that those of us who sell have the most hoarder-looking homes. Before I started selling, I was pretty good at donating things I no longer cared about and keeping things reasonably neat. But once I started selling, between keeping things I could sell some day and loads of boxes and packing materials, it got a lot messier.

Shiloh, I love the clock with the face. Is it old?

Funkey, my DH and I have some health issues, too, and it does make everything take longer. On my good days I get a lot more done, and naively think it'll continue, than wham! I'm laid low for a while. I find it very frustrating.

Draft saved Draft deleted