Featured Hoarder or storer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Sep 12, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Now that one of my dear daughters is now picking for me I have even more boxes. I really need to sort and organize my hoard. She promised one weekend she will spend the night/s and help me.:confused:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Waynetta Slob, as in Wayne and Waynetta Slob, off the telly.

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

LOL, AF, that was funny. I think my by-line should be "I have a smattering of knowledge." :D :D :D

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

What chair? lol.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I like the bamboo tete-a-tete chair on the right side of this photo. I had to backtrack to Page 1 to find it!

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Final pictures of the new, usable shed with two usable desks and even some spare shelf space.

Before. The other section of the L shaped spece was similar

1-P1030986.JPG
    And after

1-P1040083.JPG

1-P1040084.JPG

1-P1040082.JPG

The only remaining world to conquer is the garage, which is still 50% cluttered.

To all those who are still wading through a bog of stuff, take heart, the swamps can be drained, and with a relatively small amount of throwing away.

Onward and upward with your trash heap clearances, the relaxing and theraputic effects of usable working space are beyond price and often 3 cardboard boxes contain only one boxful of stuff between them.

antidiem likes this.
  9. Messilane

I emptied a box from the attic closet yesterday.
    What that actually entailed was taking the stuff out of the box and shoving it somewhere else, so not really getting any further (farther?) ahead.
    Still, as it was a rather large box, there is now room to step around in that room so as to get to other stuff.
    Alas, all the box contained was sewing & embroidery materials from my more creative days.
    While up there, I did run across the box of the few items my family "allowed" me to have from my fathers things.
    While most of it (a small shoebox 3/4 full) is letters from his mother, there were some fairly cool match book covers, and a number of menus for a 1935 CCC Camp Mountain Christmas dinner.
    My grandfather was one of the "leaders" in that camp.

gregsglass likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

af Your work is inspiring and looks great!

ARG..........I've got to tackle the basement I guess. In the last month I've found two yes two snakes down there. They were small non-poisonous types but how they got in I've no idea. It's a half finished half storage basement and heaven knows if there are more in the mass of mess down there. A lot of the stuff was left behind when my kids moved out but now that we know there are snakes there is 0 possibility they would be willing to go through it (even if they were around and had the time).

BOO!

antidiem and kentworld like this.
  11. Messilane

I agree that unexpected snakes would be a little off-putting, and I even like snakes!

12. say_it_slowly

I don't mind snakes, at least the cute non poisonous little ones, but I don't really want to share a house with them LOL! That moment when you first see one before you can identify it as harmless is always a bit startling. I'm just hoping they didn't lead any nasty ones in :eek:

Messilane likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

AF, that is inspirational -- thanks for starting this thread!

antidiem likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Messi,
    I love snakes that I can see. The old old old barn when I was kid I loving playing in, jumping down from on the hay mow down to the floor, hiding in the celler of the barn, never had a problem. When the barn was tore down when I was 10, over 50 Copperheads from 1 foot to 6 feet long were killed by my father and uncles. I never in my mind did I think Copperheads were there. I was used to garters, black racers, grass snakes.
    greg

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AF,
    I must say that when you talk about your sheds they do not look like sheds to me. In fact they are nicer than a lot of houses I have seen. Sheds to me are just anything goes is nailed to frames, they do not have finished floors and matching windows.:D
    greg

16. Messilane

17. say_it_slowly

Oh no.....hush! (Copperheads is what I'm concerned about :sour:. I'm sure there are some in the trashy woods surrounding the house but I've not seen any and would like to keep it that way!)

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

19. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Messilane said: "While most of it (a small shoebox 3/4 full) is letters from his mother, there were some fairly cool match book covers, and a number of menus for a 1935 CCC Camp Mountain Christmas dinner.
    My grandfather was one of the "leaders" in that camp."

Messi, you might be interested in a book which I found yesterday at an estate sale. Perhaps it is available at your library (or on inter-library loan) or perhaps even on-line. It was made into a movie many years ago.

Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter (first copyrighted in 1904, then in 1916 by Doubleday, Page & Company). By the way, "Gene" is short for Geneva. Lots of information about the author and book on-line.

20. Messilane

Yourturn . . . I have read all the Stratton books! Even have a couple in my collection.
    Just loved them when I was young.

Draft saved Draft deleted