Featured Hoarder or storer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Sep 12, 2014.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks to AF I went into a closet that magically fills ceiling to floor when the door is closed. I flung it open and started probing. I opened a box that has not seen the light of day or lamplight even since 2000. I decided that it should be come a new give away. Some highlights of a preview. A 1931 Chinese/English flip calendar tied with string. Old baseball cards, tribal jewelry, costume jewelry. Beatle cards, some old photographs of someone's
    ancestors OO7's wallet and passport, calling cards and cash all hundreds. That was the top level I well delve later and take some photos.
    greg

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My divestment efforts of the last 2 weeks or so involved a large number of boxes of "paperwork" that were taking up way more than their share of space in my storeroom/closet. Definitely a case of "storage" run amuck. Not as much fun as finding things to sell or display. Many were boxes of papers/bank statements/tax records I brought back from Mom's house when we moved her to assisted living in 2011. No way we need to keep tax forms (and the instructions!) back to 1987. :eek:

Divided it all up between recycle and shred. The recycling was picked up today, but now I have 4 boxes of "to shred" paper. Guess I know how I'll spend bad weather days for the next several months! ;)

Oh, and now I also have a large tin full of paperclips of every size, material and configuration known to man. :facepalm:

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Divided it all up between recycle and shred. The recycling was picked up today, but now I have 4 boxes of "to shred" paper. Guess I know how I'll spend bad weather days for the next several months! ;) Oh, and now I also have a large tin full of paperclips of every size, material and configuration known to man.

Do a Google search for local shred days in your vicinity. We have them every so often around here & are usually sponsored by some type of charity. The local food bank does them to collect canned goods for their pantry & last Christmas the Marine Corps did one for Toys for Tots. You get your stuff shredded & make a donation to whatever group is sponsoring the day. Everybody wins!! :happy:

I keep an old coffee can out in my garage where I throw old paperclips & anything else metal. When it gets filled I add it to the metal recycling bin.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I do know that a real estate broker friend's office runs a free shred day in late April (when tax season is done.) My son told me of one in his neighborhood, but unfortunately it was last month. I've got a good shredder (cross-cut that is strong enough for staples) and our yard waste/kitchen waste/compost bin can take shredded paper, so it's not like I need to find an outlet for it once it's cut. Whatever is left, if any, I'll take to Patti in the spring.

I did have some of those binder prong sets that went into the recycling today - the kind with 2 long prongs that go through the paper and are bent over and clipped to keep the paper together? But I never thought of the paperclips! Thanks for the tip!

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh. those clean, shiny, empty tabletops and surfaces waiting to be cluttered..........................

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Wow Bookahtoo!!!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
    That is some change. It makes mine look a little measly, but I am proud of it nonetheless. :p :happy: ;)
    I haven't gotten around to organizing the drawers yet but it will be nice to have stuff like glue, tools & gold tester handy. Having the shelves really helps to get stuff off of the floor & notice the table has been relegated back out to garage. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

WOW book, great job.....now if you wish you and af can come to my house and help with my clutter. Paperclips are like gold at my house :p

I have a shredder but I like taking all my sensitive papers outside and throwing them in the outdoor fire pit, faster and great fuel ;) My daughters sit out at night drinking coffee with me next to the fire :cat:

antidiem likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I hope all the efforts have resulted in some compensatory finds of forgotten or overlooked treasures. I did not even notice the pinball machine in the original picture.

And you can get loads more junk without wondering where to put it. :)

antidiem likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Thanks all. I have to admit, I cleaned the room to prepare for a party, although it is nice to have my "sorting" room back. It will have stuff back in it soon, but I am determined it will never get so bad again. The "before" picture was actually taken after I had already taken four bureaus out of there. :eek::D:oops:

11. gregsglass

Hi Book,
    Great job, antique dealers hate vacuums more than nature does.:D
    greg
    P.S. I love your rug. Is it grey or green background?

12. Bookahtoo

It's an orange pattern on a brown background.
    I picked up that Heywood Wakefield table for myself last week, even though it doesn't match anything else. It's so pretty, and only $25.

antidiem likes this.
  13. gregsglass

Hi Book,
    It looked like a pink on a green or gray background. My first apartment in NYC had chocolate brown wall to wall carpeting. I arrived a week before the furniture did so I slept on the floor. A month later when the heat was off and the fresh air from outside was coming in along with humidity I noticed a smell. I called a carpet cleaning company. To my amazment and horror when the carpet was clean, it was a very vibrant ORANGE. It was that dirty.
    Two days later a friend and I cut up the carpeting and off it went. I ended up covering the asphalt rubber tiles with wood floors. I still get the willies thinking I slept on that filth.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww! That is really gross!

15. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The shed work progresses, with areas of floor showing that have been hidden for some years.

1-P1030993.JPG

Some may say pictures of floor are not all that exciting. They are to me.

Plus I found a box with three clocks I remember having but thought I had sold some time ago. Total value about $1000 to $1500 equivalent, so well worth unearthing and finding places in the house, possibly in a couple of recently cleared rooms.

The efforts of othere and the interested responses to my own efforts have hugely encouraged me in this clear up project. Very little has been actually thrown away apart from empty cardboard boxes and long obsolete papers, and I have accumulated about 20 empty large plastic storage boxes.

Clock one, a mid 19th C one piece case carriage clock, bell strike. 1-P1030988.JPG

Clock two,a mid 19th C.French marquetry portico clock.

1-P1030990.JPG

And lastly, a Aesthetic period French mantel clock.

1-P1030991.JPG

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely clocks! And, seeing a newly-cleared floor can be exciting!

antidiem likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg,

Will these items be put into the Give Aways forum on this site?

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos, anyway! :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  18. gregsglass

I am going to put all of the items in one treasure chest. I have not seen them in 20 years so I do not need them, I will let some one else have the pleasure in rooting around.
    greg

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  19. gregsglass

Af,
    That French aesthetic clock is wonderful! You have distain for all my unworthy clocks but i really like that one.
    greg

20. Bookahtoo

A treasure chest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::eek::woot::wideyed::D:p:joyful::kiss::happy::arghh::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted