Featured Hoarder or storer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Sep 12, 2014.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, well I like your carpet. :)

3. afantiques

What you do is know a chap who lays carpet in offices. Then you have a bit of leftover material for nothing with minamal fitting cost. It's the cheapskate way.............

Pat P and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Cheapskate way is good...

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

All those lovely clocks here and there :) I have one of those funny little guys whos eyes pop in and out ...maybe I can dig him out and have him help me clean one of my hoard rooms ;)

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I wish I kept my house as organized as my horse feed,I even hang the bale twine neatly on the poles, they phpHXI14jPM.jpg come in handy around the ranch ;) phpz9JxIfPM.jpg phpc55EF1PM.jpg

antidiem, daveydempsey and gregsglass like this.
  7. afantiques

Progress continues, this corner is the problem now.

1-P1030875.JPG

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

For years I have been after my husband to make me something like this . . .
    67066-Studio080421.jpg

I think of it every time I see paintings leaned up against other stuff.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm.... racks like that would be very useful.

I've recently gotten modular cubes that have shelves, that I think are 14" square. By turning one on its side, I was able to have a similar effect, though it only accommodates things up to 13" tall and deep. I'm using it to hold some of my smaller Itoya portfolios, which I use to store prints and larger ephemera.

I'd sure love something similar to hold larger items.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Try Ikea - search on IVER SYSTEM - they have a variety of configuration options - you could put smaller items on the shelves in front of the back struts, and fasten strips of wood on top and bottom of shelves to divide them. Shelf heights are adjustable. The first one is only about $65. If you price out the wood, time, smashed thumbs, arguments, etc. it's probably cheaper than making them. (they do still have to be put together:cat:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh and Pat P like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Here's a cool idea I found via Google. It looks like the same inexpensive plastic shelving units I got from Home Depot, and they just inserted 1x2s in the slats without fastening them. I like how easy it would be to do, plus that you could remove the 1x2s anytime to convert them back to horizontal shelves. Dowels should work well, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    elarnia likes this.
  12. Messilane

Some paintings can be very, very, heavy (and large!), so the rack would need to quite sturdy.

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Good point, Messi.

Another possibility might be to turn an Elfa frame, meant to hold drawers. on its side. I have several of them in closets with the drawers that fit in them and they're all metal and very sturdy. The Container Store sells them. Home Depot used to sell them but I no longer see the units on their website.

[​IMG]

antidiem and elarnia like this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think I may try putting dowels just on one end of one of my Home Depot shelving units, so there are two or three slots for standing artwork on each shelf.

I have picture frames that I'd like to sell, but storing them so they're both safe and easily seen and accessed has been an issue. This might be the solution.

15. Messilane

I have, alas, given up on ever having one.

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have take step 1 in gaining control of my garage with the help of my oldest son. He built this packing table for me this weekend. :happy::happy::happy::happy:
    [​IMG]
    This is how it looks after I got all the totes with the different packing supplies stowed away.
    [​IMG]
    These areas still need a little work. ;) LOL
    The shelf to the left holds items that need to be sold, but right now I can't even get at them. :(
    [​IMG]
    The shelf & the pile of boxes next to it hold Christmas stuff that has yet to be organized & I don't have a large enough area to get it done right now.
    [​IMG]

The pile of electronics is a consignment that will probably be there for several months, but luckily the person does not care when I get them sold. The stuff behind it is totes of my personal stuff that got moved from the other house, but again I can't get at them.
    [​IMG]
    This use to be where I packed up my boxes, but since my packing table was the only surface area it is also where totes of auction stuff got placed.
    [​IMG]
    This is my the next area I am determined to get under control. There is a large table under that pile of boxes & other crap that needs to be better utilized than just a place to hold up crap. There is another shelf full of stuff to be sold to the right of the white thing.
    [​IMG]

More to follow. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This is my work room & I have kept my promise that all of my stuff is either in this room or my garage, but I have to get it off of the floor. :mad:
    The blue tote has now been emptied of its contents & is gone back out of the house. :happy:
    The stuff back in the corner does not count as it belongs to my granddaughter.
    [​IMG]
    This table got put up when Madison came to visit this summer because i had to get all of the crap off of her rug so she would have a place to play. I am bound & determined it will be gone soon.
    [​IMG]
    The 2 totes are filled with stuff that are going to be taken to a new booth I am going to get, but it will probably be a few weeks. The box got taken to Fed-ex today by my son because I couldn't lift the darn thing. It weighed 25 lbs. & was huge.
    [​IMG]
    This is why there should not be anything on the floor (I actually have another one just like this to the right of the display case), but I can't get pictures done fast enough. It is very hard to be a 1 person operation. :grumpy:
    [​IMG]

I will post pictures when I get phase 2 done.

We all need to post pictures of our progress no matter how small it may seem to be, it is still progress. :happy::happy::happy:

18. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Great shelf bercrystal. Looks nice and sturdy. I need one of those...it would hold my entire "inventory", I'm afraid. I rarely find anything at all from week to week.

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bercrystal, I have the same "can't get to things 'cause of the stuff in the way" situation in some places in my house. I know the frustration!

spirit-of-shiloh and Messilane like this.
  20. afantiques

I found when I got one room done I kept going back to look at it.

Even half a room is a plus, it gives you a place to put the stuff you are sorting out.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted